Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Multi-meter....?

glasgow

I bought one of these last week. Works fine, though it doesn't have an audible resistance setting which can be handy. Has gone up though - it was only £2.99 last week.

CPC do a good range, from the ultra-cheap right up to Fluke, but sadly you've missed the free delivery offer they were doing last week. This Tenma one looks like a good quality mid-priced one at just over 30 quid. See the "Bestsellers" catalogue under Publications for more options.

which Multimeter, bit like asking which upgrade for 7, I have always sworn by Flukes, but been fortunate in my employer paid, having said that they are relatively expensive, excluding one I managed to loose, I have had one a good 15 years and one 10 plus years and apart from the odd new battery never had a problem with them.

I suppose, to be in keeping with the ethos of sevening you should get an Avo 8 or a Bradley, both truly fine meters 😬

Tim

I upgraded my Maplin-sourced DVM with a set of extended leads with big croc-clip terminals last year. Can make a big difference to usability and safety when on tour as you sometimes need to get a reading off the battery, say, while physically being out of reach (e.g. in the cockpit, turning the engine over/flicking switches).

I would like to add a clamp dvm that measures DC current to my touring kit - but they seem hard to come by (for sensible money) - it's easy to get an AC-capable one, but not DC...?

Quoting Myles: 
I upgraded my Maplin-sourced DVM with a set of extended leads with big croc-clip terminals last year. Can make a big difference to usability and safety when on tour as you sometimes need to get a reading off the battery, say, while physically being out of reach (e.g. in the cockpit, turning the engine over/flicking switches).

I would like to add a clamp dvm that measures DC current to my touring kit - but they seem hard to come by (for sensible money) - it's easy to get an AC-capable one, but not DC...?

How about this one from CPC? £27.90 + post at the moment (normally £34)

Don't know if it's any good, but it's one I was considering getting.

Resolution is 10mA. Immobiliser drain is supposed to be about 30-40mA, so it's a bit close IMO.

Searching on the meter name led me to a Merc forum discussion on that very topic. The ST-3343 that's mentioned with a 1mA resolution doesn't seem to be available from CPC anymore. In any case, I'd be very surprised if a clamp-type multimeter can really measure currents that small, or that accurately.

Quoting LazerBrain: 
JK - I made an equivalent to this current tester to connect to my DVM, which allowed me to measure the current flowing through a particular fuse. Obviously you need to take care not to overload your meter. My testing did not require the engine to be running - switching ignition on/off was enough to trigger the fault condition.
That's neat. You could put a protective fuse in series in case you plug it in a high current fuse holder by mistake.

I don't have a leakage problem but it seems to come up quite often.

Jonathan

Is that CPC one actually capable of measuring DC current through the clamp?

Only reason I ask is that it seems surprisingly cheap (from my last attempt to find one online) - and it also seems to have two conventional test-lead inputs...

Can't seem to find a manual online at that site...