Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sprinting-what do I need?

Paul Bowden

I want to start Sprinting next season, so what do I need?

I have a standard SL with FIA Bar and I have a timing strut

1 Do I need any mods under the bonnet i.e. throttle return springs, throttle stops?

2 Do I need race overals?

3 Will my Bell Star helmet do, BS 742394 circa 1989

4 I have CR500 tyres and Aero screen. Do I need to change tyres to put me in a lower class, I don't want to be in with the big boys

5 Have the problems with entries been sorted. I seem to get LF late and don't see me getting an entry to Curbourgh, if last year is anything to go by

6 Licences. What type and when can I get it. Now? or do they run by calendar year.

7 I am a non-insulin dependant diabetic, is this going to be a problem.

Answers on a post card, thanks in advance and watch out next year...... especially if your are any where near the edge of the course

Now Edited to fix errors

====================

Paul - first hting to do is check the regulations (if for the l7 sprints then try here these are last years BTW get hold of a blue book to find full details

this is also useful here

to try and answer your questions

1. yellow tape on battery EARTH strap, if a standard SL no extra throttel retrun springs or stops should all be there, make sure no holes between the bulkhead and cockpit. Generally nothing loose, catch tank for oil

2. re overalls, cannot remember the actaul standards but any decent 3 layer modern suit would , best to check first..

3. if that old then you may want to consider getting a newer one anyway, even if it is allowed

4. cr500's if yours is a standard SL and a 1.6 then it should be resonably competitive in class 3, if a 1.8 then it would not be competitive in class 5. You could use ar in classes 2 & 4 with list 1a tyres

5. next year there may be up to 7 sprints so even if you do not make curbugger then there are ample other opportunites

6. non race b, you may want to wait till next year or at least late this year to apply, best bet is to contact the MSA

7. not sure, again the MSa should be able to let you know what if any problems there might be.

rob

Edited by - robmar on 12 Nov 2002 17:55:41

From 2002 Blue Book

Boots and gloves are not mandatory. Plastic shoes are to be avoided though !

3 layer suits are not necessary (ie 1or 2 layer is acceptable) but the suit must be made from Nomex111 or Proban and be to a recognised standard (list in Blue book)Proban suits are available for around £100.00 in Demon Tweeks catalogue

Helmets for MSA events must be to BS 6658-85 type A (type B is not acceptable) or Snell SA 95 , or Snell SA2000 so your current helmet is no good unless it has stickers inside it to these standards.

Also acceptable for MSA events (and international events but I doubt that you will need this to start with !) are SFI foundation 31.1 and 31.2 and BS 6658-85 type A/FR (same as type A above but with Fire Retardent lining)

We hope (with Barrys help) to get the Curborough entry forms on the web site on the same day as the first Low Flying hits the doormats so if you keep your eyes open you should be in with the same chance as everone else.

I hope that you do get an entry as we love to see new people having a go

Licences are calender year. MSA will send renewal forms about the first week in December to present holders. Then there's real pandemonium thro January as they try and issue 99% of their annual quota of licences in one go. I'd leave it until Febuary then give them a buzz and ask for an application form.

Or check out http://www.msauk.org/ they used to have the application forms in .pdf format but they were hard to find.

Picky I know, but it's yellow tape on earth strap, not live!

If you are concerned on scrutineering issues, then look for a local scrut and give him a ring. They are usually most helpful. Trouble is they all have slightly different ideas of interpretation of regs.

I've been sprinting/hillclimbing for 3 years now in the Notts Sports Car Club series and enjoyed every minute of it. They tend to have Northern events more.

Rob Lane

Paul you say - " 1.6 so class 3 on cr500, this OK"

yep you should be in terms of competitiveness of car, I got a couple of 2nd's on rather worn 32's this year with my 1.6SS superlight, but am plannig to run acb10's for this season to try and improve on my bridesmaid tag

the winners of the 4 sprints in class 3 this year where

Powder Puff (3 wins) who was running a 1.6SS on acb10's and brooklands

McFarlane (1 Win) who was running a live axle xflow on 32's I think

but no to worry as powder puff is planning on class 5 I think for this year *smile*

rob

Beware, this is the start of a very slippery slope......

18 months ago I did my first sprint with my 1.6SS and this led to the following (in no particular order!) : a trailer, a major engine upgrade, suspension change, countless wheels & tyres, a few CCC series trophies, a load of new friends and a permanent 😬.

Of course none of the upgrades were "necessary" - but once you start....

And finally to answer one of your Q's you don't need a catch tank for a wet sump K in std. configuration. If you need any advice or encouragement feel free to contact me.

Thanks again,

I am on a roll now, as I seem to have your attention, one final(honest) queston. I was looking into the option of competing (well turning up anyway) in one of the reginal sprint championships. I was a little put off when I saw that if you had a Aero screen as my car has as standard , it appeared I would be in a class with what I can only describe as racing cars. I want to be in a road going class. Now I am not expecting to win anything, but I want to be in a class where I might have some chance of finishing in the same minute as the other guys and girls. If any one has experience of championships outside the club your advise would be very welcome . As you can see I am in Cambridge , so Scotland for example would be out, but south, east or even midlands may be possible.

I have competed in rounds of both the CCC Speed series and the Aldon HSA series this year. I would recommend both, however there are slight differences.... The standard in the up to 1.7 "kit" roadgoing class in the HSA series was higher than in the CCC. I found both to be very friendly and welcoming - as a novice the best advice is probably to sign up for a few series (reg. fee is v. cheap) and then pick the events that suit you.

Joining the HSA is a good start. Look at the BARC website review of the CCC series. Read next month's Circuit Driver mag - I believe a certain orange 7 is featured in an article on going sprinting as I let the Ed. have a dual drive at Curborough.....

You will need a windscreen and 1A tyres to compete in the popular "kit" classes. You are right in thinking that aero and CR500's will put you in with some altogether more exotic bolides (although obviously the L7C events run to different regs.). Whatever you decide to do you'll have a lot of fun.

*cool*