Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD - How to tell?

Paul McKenzie

I seem to remember someone suggest the following ...

I think the easiest way is to jack the car up so both wheels are int he air (take handbrake off as well *wink* )and turn one of the wheels around by hand , if the other side turns at half the rate this is a reasonable indication that you have one

ICBWIOA

Rob *smile*

Edited by - robmar on 12 Nov 2002 12:00:42

Jack up the rear of the car, and turn one wheel. If the other wheel rotates in the same direction, it's an LSD. If the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction it isn't.

By same direction I mean both forwards or backwards, not both clockwise/anticlockwise.

Hmmm.

If the car is in gear when you jack up, if you try to turn one wheel the other one can only go the opposite direction. It will be *difficult* if you have a plate type LSD and will require you to overcome the preload torque in the diff.

If you have an AP Suretrac type diff then this test will be inconclusive as when there is no load on the diff it behaves like an open diff.

If you don't have it in gear, then with an open diff, the propshaft may rotate in preference to the other wheel turning or may turn backwards or may turn forwards just for the hell of it - it depends on the meshing friction internally. In other words it is an inconclusive test.

If you suspect you have an AP Suretrac supplied by Caterham, you can check the casing for a metal tag stamped with 'AP'.

If you really want to know, click here

how about, jack one side of the car up leaving 1 rear wheel on the ground *smile*

Now carefully get in and start the car *biggrin*

now put the car in gear 😳 and try to pull away *tongue*

if the car says still you do not have a LSD *mad*

If however it falls of the jack and flys up the road, alls well you have a LSD 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

T.F@O.F