Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Club track day - driving instruction

Superwhite R283

I'm planning on attending on of the club track days *tongue*, prob one of the Brands Hatch day/evenings organised by Club MSV, has anyone used the free driving instruction, I know it's first come fist served but any one have any more info?

As it will be my first I thought the tuition would be very helpful....

Thanks in advance *smile*

• Leadership Team

Hi Daz,

you might be better posting this on ChitChat *thumbup* You might also want to drop a mail to Geoff Picken who is the Club trackday coordinator - (geoff.pickin@lotus7club.com) who I am sure will be happy to advise.

You're wise to take tuition - always a good idea, whatever your level of experience *smile* Have fun whichever event you choose...

Michael.

Hi Daz,

I got your blatmail but thought I would reply this way so that anyone else going through the same dilemma in future years might stumble upon it.

I think there is no “right” answer and that the recommendation may depend upon a number of things, such as how long you’ve had a Caterham, amount of prior track experience and your confidence levels.

In my case I had had my Caterham for less than a year, had only done one multi-car experience day at Bedford and basically had zero confidence. The reasons I did the experience day was to push my limits, gain confidence and start to get an appreciation of what the car could do. In my opinion the Caterham Experience day was perfect for this. It was well organised, my instructor was brilliant and he reallypushed me.

I picked the Experience day at Silverstone for a number of reasons. Firstly for the guaranteed instruction from instructors who knew about the dynamics of this style of car. Secondly as everyone was under instruction I felt that I wouldn’t feel hassled by anyone who was far more experienced and far faster than me (rember this was my first track day) – in practice there were a few other non caterham cars running on the track but never once did I feel remotely pressured or distracted by them. Finally it has to be said that the thought of doing my first track day in my own car did not seem like a good idea. Too much speed plus too little talent could add up to a big bill *cry* (even insured I would have to pay the first 10% of the value of my car).

If these do not apply to you then you may wish to go for the private tuition route (although check out if they have an intercom as one word shouted instructions are not that much help !)

Personally speaking I have no regrets in weaning myself into track days this way. There are one or two minor improvements Caterham could make to the day, e.g. an on-board video of your days would have been good. Most of the other people taking part were similar to myself. Some had done one or two track days and were thinking of buying a Caterham, others wanted to experience what a track day was like but had little intention of doing another. There was one chap who was much more experienced and I feel he got little out of the day and indeed felt frustrated at times that the instructor was reining him in (or trying to teach him some good driving habits depending upon your view point).

My next step was a Club event at Cadwell which was a perfect for me, more independent but with a very friendly track etiquette. Since then I've done a few days via MSV and the Club.

I currently organising something for a friend and me where we are sharing the cost of an instructor but are using our own cars – suitably insured (I am with Reis which gives me a few “free” track day insurances which I make maximum use of). Again if you have a friend who is like minded you may wish to go this route.

I do not see me doing another Caterham Experience “Circuit” day. My feeling is that the more experienced you are the less you will get out of it and the more attractive private tuition is.

Having said that I am going on a Caterham Experience “Drifting” day soon to try and give me confidence in handling the car when the back end is moving out and not wearing out my tyres !

Perhaps that will mean I’ll get on the power sooner when coming out of corners !!

I hope this rambling helps. *wink*