Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Freestyle front ARB

Stuart Faulds

the two biggest bars (ie the ones outside the 3/8 to 5/8 range) are designed for vx race cars and the JPE. these would be VERY stiff for a K or Bike engined car.

Just to explain as well - the torsional stiffness of a solid rod goes with the 4th power of the diameter. ie double the thickness and you get 16 times the stiffness.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I talked to Len and Co. and bought the Freestyle adj bar just in time for my last race in Oct.

It is indeed 3/8" to 5/8".

I had the 3/4" bar on my post 96 sprung widetrack HPC until I changed to the Freestyle one.

I set the bar to 5/8" in the dry.

I now run stiffer fron springs and the 5/8" bar. I experience better balance = no understeer in the slowest corner at Lydden now. Bear in mind I am running big 9" slick pushers at the rear and have no rear ARB to aid traction (well ok I could not run the rear ARB as it fouled the SLR size rear rims).

The extra traction gained without the rear ARB is good for my 185 021's and the 9" slicks however!

Freestyle advocate removing the rear ARB for most cars when they do their damper and ARB set up.

I think they do their own rear ARB or perhaps I am mistaken on this...

I have yet to play with even softer front ARB settings in the rain...

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 12 Nov 2002 20:08:33

My understanding is that the adjustability is from the flattened arms on the front ARB which will act like torsion springs. When moving perpedicular to the flat side, it will be softer. A bit like bending a ruler really. The angle of the ruler is adjustable through 90' and hence so is the stiffness.

As the wheel hub is located using a double wishbone, any sideways component of the ARB when adjusted to an intermediate setting will be controlled by the upper wishbone.

I may have got this completely wrong, but that is how I remember what I saw at Brands Hatch

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!