Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series startup issue

speedghost

I tried to start my k-series 1.6 a the weekend for the first time in a few weeks and it turned about half a turn before giving in with a rapid clicking sound.

Took the battery out for inspection and noticed it was pretty low on fluid (below the electrodes) after months on the conditioner over winter, so topped it up and seemed happy to recharge after several hours.

Gave it a try today and same problem, short turn of the engine, but seizes and doesn't fire up.

Also noticed I have had a few problems with the keyfob unlocking the immobiliser on last few drives.

So I'm only guessing one of three things, the k-series click, the keyfob battery getting low and not entirely shutting down the immobiliser, or potentially dead battery, while indicating a full charge its possibly just dumping in one go.

Does anyone have any ideas which of those it could be or any other suggestions? :)

Cheers,

Adam

• Area Representative

Might well not be right, but can"t be the "K Series Click" as the symptoms are just a click, never known it to engage the starter and then click.

If the immobilser light stops flickering when you press the fob then it is working fine, if not when you switch the ignition on the red dash light will stay on all the time.

As far as the last choice you could try jump leads and see what happens? although I would be inclined to make sure it is not an earthing issue?

Presume you don't have an FIA cut out.

Adam, it won't be the immobiliser, that cuts the fuel supply, so will turn over fine. I would doubt it is the "click", this is normally with the engine hot and trying to restart not on a cold engine. I suspect that your battery is goosed but to double check try jump starting the car from another. That will give you your answer. It sounds like battery has enough power to throw the solenoid but not to turn over the engine.

Graham.

Battery just showed green on the charger after several hours charge today and I measured it at about 13.5v ( usually around 14?)

So gave it another try and it did its half turn before giving in, measured voltage after was about 10v but dropping until it got to about 9.4v

So, and I do remember having a flat on it years ago before I got the battery conditioner, I'm guessing battery?. My bro has an older battery from his mini that should have a fairly ok charge on it, so may try jumping from that.

Mark: in Wonersh near Bramley surrey now, I really must update my profile !!

Thanks everyone, will keep you posted if I get it started from a spare battery!

The 'machine-gun' click is associated with a duff battery - or goosed wiring. The solenoid will throw the starter, drag the battery down to the point where it releases, the battery will recover to the point where the solenoid has enough oomph to have another go... ...and so on.

The simple options for diagnosis would be to try a jump-start - and/or to short the solenoid lead to the battery positive (you will get a spark!). If the former works, but the latter doesn't - I'd point at the battery. If neither works, it's time to look further.

• 2 weeks later...

My best guess is "goosed wiring." As per Myles. I have a not so good Banner, all earth and power leads clean and tight but little fly wire from starter motor disappearing into loom is fried, inside, so replacement on it's way. Sheathed and passing round back of starter motor. For now a wiggle if 'click' occurs, *smokin*

Might be your problem, Speedghost.

Bas

• 3 weeks later...

+1 Battery :)

Finally got around to getting new one last week and installed this morning.

Fired up straight away without even a stutter! which is not bad seen as it's been sitting in the garage for some time.

Now to check the horn works for its mot due next month, noticed that wasn't working last drive out!

cheers all.