Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cam Belt change & verniers

TomB

Just a quick couple of vernier questions prior to changing the timing belt.

1) Should I 'zero' the vernier callipers so that there is no camshaft adjustment, change the belt and reset them by just turning the cams to where they were prior to disassembly, or do I need to borrow the dial gauges etc and retime them?

or

2) Can I simply lock the pulleys with the cam locking tool and reassemble without messing with the timing?

or 3) is it so easy to check the adjustment, its worth doing anyway while Im doing the belt to make sure they havnt slipped?

Hi Mankee, Im running the standard Supersport cams, and the verniers are already fitted. Im just wondering if there are any special considerations beyond those in a Haynes or similar manual where standard pulleys are assumed, where Verniers are fitted.

Thanks for the link, more or less answers my query *thumbup*

Edited by - TomB on 4 Feb 2013 13:49:35

Well, if all you really want (or need) to do is change the belt, your option #2 will work just fine. But if you want to be sure that the timing is as good as it can be, do the before/after checks as well. If you're ever down Dorset way, I could lend you the dial gauges and mounts I used when I fitted verniers to my old SS-R.

JV