Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 2 litre. Why we need more revs.

AMMO

Thanks for the offer Oliver.

I proof read a Moto Guzzi book for Mick Walker back in the 80s. Mainly to make sure the technical aspects were accurate. I would like my writing proof read to correct typos, spelling and grammar. I'm not keen to send out work that has mistakes in. OK for an internet forum to make the odd error, but not in published work.

I think I will start small, just with some articles. There is a new glossy classic motorcycle magazine starting up soon. I have already been approached by someone about it.

As for compiling articles into a book I think that was done years ago with the one Phil Irving wrote under the name "Sliderule". Irving was the designer of the Vincent engine. He also wrote the book Tuning for Speed.

I have seen copies of Vizard's book Tuning the A Series engine on bookshelves at some of the race engine builders I have visited. It is highly regarded. It would be nice to do something like that. The royalties would be coming in for years! :-)

Thanks for you encouragement.

I would like my writing proof read to correct typos, spelling and grammar. I'm not keen to send out work that has mistakes in. OK for an internet forum to make the odd error, but not in published work.
I agree 100%. If I can be of any help in this, just ask. Unless the volumes are huge, I'd happily do it FOC. I'm retired now, but in a previous incarnation I was a technical author and editor for many years -- mostly big software projects, including airline systems, JIT manufacturing, and audit tools.

Talking of old tuning books, one of my favourites is Car Performance and the Choice of Conversion Equipment by Philip H Smith CEng MIMechE MSAE, published in 1967. It proved invaluable in my youth when I was attempting to get a bit more speed out of my 105E Ford Anglia!

And thanks for your fascinating posts -- do keep them coming!

JV

Thank you John for your very kind offer.

Next weekend I will be going to a memorial dinner for one of the mechanics I worked with at Team MCN. The 26th anniversary since his death in a road accident. A couple of the guys that will be coming are journos so I will be picking their brains.

Many years ago I wrote a couple of things for Superbike magazine. I'm fortunate that I know quite a few people, Gary Pinchin, Mat Oxley, Julian Ryder the TV commentator, Neil Spalding, Alan Cathcart etc.

Out of all of them I think Alan Cathcart has the best handle on things. He interviewed me at the height of our racing success and the article got syndicated, translated into many different languages and printed worldwide. At the time there was talk of him working for 53 different magazines. As writing probably pays about the same now as it did twenty years ago it makes sense to sell the same article to more than one publication.

I interviewed a few people in the old days when I was going to write the aborted Moto Guzzi book. I found some mini cassette tapes the other day but have nothing to play them on. I'm pretty sure there is an interview I did with the late Umberto Todero at Moto Guzzi. There's an article right there for some classic bike magazines. Then there is the ancient history of my own race team and the development of the Moto Guzzi Daytona. I could fill quite a few pages with that.

Thanks again for the encouragement and offers of help. I've got a feeling I could quite get into this writing lark.