Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Steering rack overhaul ...

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

To add ... if I rock the steering wheel gently back and to, the RH track rod moves up and down a little where it exits the rack. There doesn't appear to be any play in the inner ball joint and the steering works perfectly, more as though there's some play in the gear mechanism itself or some bushes. Is this something that's easily rectified with a few basic parts or adjustment? I'm tempted to take it out and see what can be done before sending it away.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu,

Is it really "up and down"?

It's much more likely to orward and backward.

It's quite common for the plastic "shoe" becomes splayed, particularly after clouting a kerb os similar, however, It could be that a little tweek of the cap that pushes it agains the the rack, and so against the pinion, will get rid of this play.

I've seen lots of cars that I've been able to tweek this way.

• Leadership Team

Definitely up and down ... in that the pinion shaft goes in horizontally and it would appear the rack is lifting as pressure is applied by the pinion. I've never had a rack apart but I suspect the bush through which the rack must move is probably worn?

Stu.

Hello Stu,

I have an exploded diagram of the Titan rack as used on the Elise, which looks very similar to the Caterham unit from when i had mine apart a couple of years ago. There are 2 ball bearing races which locate the pinion and carry the thrust load from the rack into the pinion. On my rack one of these races was shagged allowing the pinion to move in and out slightly. The diagram also shows 2 linear bushes, one at either end of the rack bar. On earlier racks (according to Titan) the rackbar ran straight in the alloy housing and on very early racks there were phosphor bronze bushes.

I can email you a copy of the rack diagram if that would help, it will give you part numbers for checking on spares. The pinion bearings are standard item available from a bearing stockist.

Phil B

• Area Representative

Stu,

have you looked at the link to the diagram of Titan rack for an Elise on the page that Martyn has linked to?

There isn't a bush as such, just the "shoe" that pushes the rack against the pinion.

• Area Representative

Oops. I've just looked again.

The Elise rack is not the same as a Caterham rack.

On the Caterham rack, the Pinion is very close to the end, and there is no bush at the pinion end, just the "shoe".

• Leadership Team

Richard, I think Phil is correct that it's the "linear bush" that's worn, part 7 in the Titan diagram linked to from the wiki page. I've already tried tighthening the shoe a little but it resulted in the rack binding. Open heart surgery time I think!

Stu.

• 2 months later...

Richard, or anyone else that knows,

went to Get to know your 7 and it was suggested I needed to adjust the steering rack adjuster by loosening the lock nut and adjusting the adjuster with an Allen key but there's just a hole through the middle of the adjuster so presume its come out. As I don't know what's supposed to be in the hole it's a bit difficult to know what to do with it.

any suggestions as to where to buy the new part?

Dave *smile*

Edited by - Smithy7 on 20 Apr 2013 21:34:26

• Leadership Team

I've never taken one apart but as far as I'm aware the part you're adjusting affects the pressure of a nylon block controlling the clamping of the rack bit. I don't think it's necessary to cover the hole in any way and it's not a lubrication point.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Yes that's the part I adjusted but with no improvement so returned the setting to where it was, in reality my rack was not so bad but the small movement annoyed me. When I bought the car it handled like a damb squib and having worked my way through everything else the rack was one of the few remaining aspects where I could gain some improvement ...... now swapped to an 8% rack and it's transformed its' road manners *thumbup*

Stu.