Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Level on 1.4ss

Matthew Wheatley

Apologies for covering VERY old ground but I've searched the archives and can't find a definitive answer so:

When should I check the oil level of my standard K series 1.4 ss?

Before starting or when the engine and oil are all warrmed up?

I've tried doing both and at the moment when it's cold it reads just over the High and when it's warmed up it reads under the Low marker.

help.

thank,

Mat

Paul,

Rubbish!!

If the build manual says that for a wet-sump engine, then it's wrong.

What possible reason could you have for checking oil level when the damned thing is running and throwing oil in every direction? The only way to check level is correct must be static in a wet-sump engine.

Paul

I have to say when I collected my 1.6ss with no appollo it had a plate on top of the cam pulley cover saying : check oil level with engine running and hot.

So. whats it to be??

PS. I've had an appollo on it since 4 weeks after i got it

Hi,

I have exactly the same question as on my 1,6 K serie engine, it is also written ''check oil while engine hot and running''.

The engine is the standart 1,6 K engine in a Caterham built in 2001...

As I found that strange, I discuss with the former owner and he replied: ''well you know English cars are often very strange..." 😬

I have the 1,6 K ... in the original configuration...

Discussing about the same thing on a french forum, some other people have the same plate ''check oil....hot and running'' both on 1,6 K and on 1,8 VVC and any other one didn't have this plate on the same Rover K engines... But may be older ones...

What I know is that there has been a change in the crankcases, a first generation being labeled CATERHAM/ROVER and a second generation being labeled CATERHAM... May be with the new one you have to check oil on running engine... *confused*

Did you ask a Rover dealer to know if this is specific to Caterham???

When I ran a 1.4SS I saw these plates at Caterham parts and bought one. Stuck it onto the cam cover as the others have 'em fitted. I think it may also be that the 'K' series when fitted at the slight incline that they are in a Caterham trap some oil in the head which does drain down but not that quickly. Checking levels when warm & running etc has the engine in 'as operating' condition and gives a true level as opposed to the 'all-drained-down' scenario *thumbup*

Well it never did my 1400SS any harm. It had 133BHP (Rolling Road tested) after 38,000 miles. 😬

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

I always understood that because of the shortened sump on the K series that the engine should be running and warm to ensure that some of the oil is distributed around various parts of the engine (inc. hydraulic tappets). You are then measuring oil which remains in the sump. Presumably if you dip when not running it will read high.

Paul McK - Dipping oil when cold and stationary is probably fine for old fashioned Vauxhalls, but we're talking high tech state of the art K series here!!!! 😬 😬 *thumbup*

I must say that it is difficult to read the dipstick correctly when oil is splashing around the sump. *confused*. I hope this thread will produce a better way of oil checking as I've overfilled in the past and at high speed it causes worrying smoke 😳 😳 😳

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

I've always checked when hot and running on my 1.6SS as per instructions in the good old owners manual! Basically you could take a reading with the engine off once you've got the right level and put a slight nick in the dippy thingy a couple of mill above the full mark

😬 😬 😬