Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Running the engine in a garage

RS2000

I rather foolishly thought that having a catalytic converter meant you were safe from carbon monoxide when running an engine in a garage. But of course the cat only works when fully up to temperature, so there's a good long period when you are chucking out lots of CO. And a fair chance that your cat doesn't work anyway.

There is a firm who produce a coil-reinforced heavy duty hose, with a rubber cone at one end (for you to place over/near tailpipe), and has a connection for your compressed airline to blow air through inducing a venturi effect, which then sucks your exhaust gases out the other end.

I'm sure it is a British firm, but I'm struggling to remember their name *confused*

I use a length of flexible stainless chimney liner. It is about 4in dia so is a loose fit over the exhaust but interestingly that creates a Venturi effect so that fresh air is sucked in the gap, thus keeping the garage air clear. I locate it to the exhaust using a short bit of coat hanger wire with a hooked end that attaches to the bobbin bracket.

Peter