Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT

colinharding

I took my 7 to be MOT'd on Sat. but the chap said it would fail even b4 he did anything cos, it doesn't have any side indicator repeaters on the cycle wings *mad*

Has anyone else had this problem *confused* What have you done to get the car through - he mentioned that I could put some temporary ones on, and then take them off after the MOT - but what's the point of that *confused* Isn't it a safety issue, and therefore shouldn't they be there *confused*

Any ideas, suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

40th Anniversary No. 56

see the site here

Colin, side repeaters have been required on cars for yonks. Officially.

Many people (me included) don't like the side repeaters that Caterham supply. Bit clunky looking. When my car went for its SVA 3 years ago, I used adapted Caterham-supplied repeaters fixed to the side of the car, just below the bonnet line. The wires were sandwiched between the bonnet and the side of the car, and the indicators held on with double-sided sticky pads. It worked at the time, but a mate of mine tried the trick last year, and the tester wasn't having it at all... When I got back from the SVA test, I removed them.

I have since fitted "universal" side repeaters (available from Halfords or Demon Tweeks) to the side bodywork of my car, in order to avoid just the sort of hassle you've had. Count, and others, on this list, use small repeaters fitted to the headlamp bowls. Both solutions look tidier than the Caterham-supplied jobbies.

To be fair to Caterham though, they supply the same repeater for flared wing cars too, and for them, they are appropriate, as they are surface mount and so are better protected from road muck. The flared wings also obscure the side views of the bodywork and headlights more than cycle wings do.

So to sum up, either find a "friendlier" MOT tester, or fit either of the types I've mentioned above. Hope that helps

*smile*