Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle Pinion Oil Seal

virden

John at Redline confirmed to me that this can be done in situ... I must get on and do mine! When I removed my axle I found that the prop could be strapped up out of the way. As Ellie says, be prepared for gushing smelly diff oil.

By the way, when I replaced the prop bolts I used allen headed fixings. I think (hope!) they will be a lot easier to undo. Space was too tight for me under there to get 2 spanners in place. Also, I didnt trust axle stands at both ends of the car. I find the highest most stable lift is from placing wheel ramps under lifted tyres.

Do let me know how you get on... will be doing mine soon, together with sump repair (again!). Regards Andy

Edited by - dalongbloke on 20 Jan 2013 19:44:12

Thanks Andy, I have taken note, though probably will not attempt it until March due not having a heated garage. Re jackingn the car up, it is stored with the wheels off. Axle stands at the front, supporting the chassis tubes at the junction with the crossmember, and a stack of 6" square wooden blocks under the chassis at the point where the A frame is bolted. Rock solid! Cheers

Mine was replaced about 4 years ago when the diff unit was replaced by Chris at the 7 Workshop (highly recommended) but that's another story.

Before I took the diff to him, I thought I would try and replace the seal myself but even with the axel out, I could not get the retaining nut undone. It is a high torque item and even with the rear shafts locked at the wheel end, the spring in shafts seems to prevent it from undoing. However, if you have a bar that you can bolt onto the pinion flange and a long bar for the nut, you may have better luck that I did. That's how Chris did it I believe.