Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series engine "problem" solved

Steve Cragg

I really shouldn't be telling anyone about this!

Background

1.6 Superlight owned for three weeks. First track day at Cadwell 3rd November. Following first trip out after lunch I pull off track to be greeted by shouts of "switch your engine off" To be sure things did not sound well. ☹️

Helped by the assembled 7 owners we started to investigate the very noticeable top end knocking/rattle that was eminating from my engine. Cam cover came off, no obvious problems. Cam followers were pressed down, was one softer than the others?

Concensus was a sticking hydraulic cam follower. Advice was not to drive the car any further. Borrowed a trailer and took car home. ☹️

Next day friendly mechanic came round with stethoscope and probe. He didn't think it sounded like a follower problem, not "pingy" enough and thought it could be a worn face on a cam.

During the week phoned others for advice. Could it be the exhaust manifold gasket blowing? It can sound like a top end problem. If you don't find anything wrong with the cams, check the gasket and see if there is any soot tracking across the face.

I really, really shouldn't be telling you this!!!

Saturday came, first time to have a proper look. Cam cover off. Checked all cam profiles, no sign of any problems. Rotated all cams and checked with 1/1000 feeler gauge for any clearance. None found.

Exhaust manifold off. Some blistering and corrosion but not sign of tracking.

Down to the local Rover dealer. Bought new cam cover and exhaust manifold gasket. Put everything back together and started up. Same top end noise present, looks like this could start to get expensive. ☹️

Have one more go to localise source. Using a screwdriver as a probe located the problem within seconds *idea*

When using the screwdriver I leant on the HT lead cover. Noise became more muffled. Took cover off to investigate and found.......

A loose spark plug 😳 😳 😳 😳

My only saving grace is that a number of long standing 7 owners and a professional mechanic didn't think of it.

Despite my embarrasment the good news is that my engine is OK and I haven't been sold a pup. *thumbup*

Hopefully this tale may help at least one 7 owner from a similar sorry tale.

Steve

Back on the road again 😬

The main lesson to be had from this episode is:

Don't tell your fellow 7 owners, or you'll end up with a nickname like "Steve 'the plug' Cragg" or worse for the rest of your days on Blatchat!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Not like a boss I used to have many years ago.

His girlfriend ran an old Triumph 1500 FWD (said it was along time ago!) and said it was making a lot of noise. As I also ran one of these my boss said could I take a look at hers (ooh err). He was the boss so "No" wasn't an option.

She told me it had lost power some two miles from home and she thought it was a bit noisy.

Ah well, open the bonnet to find................................ a con rod sticking out of the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *eek*

"Well that would explain it" was all I could say.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.