Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

k series oil pressure again

TomB

I have looked in the archives, but everyone seems to have different oil pressure readings to each other, all higher than mine!

After a drive to North Wales, I convinced myself that I could hear a new noise from the engine (1.4 K SS dry sump). I could also hear it at idle, a sort of deeper noise than usual.

I have in the last couple of weeks changed the oil etc, to Halfords fully synth 5W/40 from whatever caterham midlands put in it in May when I got it

Oil pressure at hot idle is 1 bar, and 2.5 - 3 bar at road speed. This is about 0.5 - 1 bar less than before I did the oil change. The pressure rises as soon as the throttle is touched and the oil is the correct level with no leaks. When i changed the filter I checked those little ring connection & fasteners behind the filter housing - is that the oil pressure sender?

Am I just being paraniod about the seemingly low pressure & a possible new engine noise? *confused*

Edited by - TomB on 10 Nov 2002 21:19:18

Edited by - TomB on 10 Nov 2002 21:38:05

you could have a failing oil pressure sender. ours failed/quit giving correct readings about a month ago, whilst on the continent . i could have sworn all sorts of new noises....

but it was just the sender. NOTE k w/ dry sump is hard to read oil level.....

Steve

SV VHPD *idea*

Drive like your wife *wink* depended on it....

click here to see our 7 and rallye pictures....

Oil level is fine, at or just below the baffle plates in the bell housing oil cover.

Is it fairly straight forward to fix the sender? Presumably it is a Rover part - what is the number? I have the week off, between jobs so I can add it to my list of things to do.