Click here if you are having website access problems ×

silly crossflow question

hugh

i have just had an overhaul and new camshaft fitted to my 1650 crossflow and today, just as i was about to bolt on th carbs and exaust system i noticed i had not fitted the 3mm approx wide spacer plate between the engine and the bellhousing! and now my question is do i really need it? my feeling is it probably can be omitted,and question no 2 is, can i unbolt the gearbox mounting bolts and the bellhousing bolts and prise the engine and bellhousing far enough apart to allow the spacer plate to be slipped between engine and bellhousing without removing the engine.would appreciate any helpful advice regard hugh

The spacer also stops debris entering the clutch area. It is usuallty in two parts, fitting together around the aperture for the starter motor. I would not leave it out and suggest you don't either! Can't comment on whether you can fit it as you describe but knowing that some people remove the engine without the gear box suggests that they also have to put it back doing something like you describe.

Hope that helps a bit

Don't leave it out - you'll get all sorts of muck on the clutch if you do. The plate should be split so the two halves can be fitted seperately - you'll never move the gearbox back far enough to get it in in one piece.

Once split, it makes jobs like clutch changing easier - no need to take the engine out (on a Live Axle car)

if you really need some space to work (Live Axle only) undo the prop shaft from the rear diff, undo the gearbox mounting bolts (2 of them) - If ou have teh remote gear lever you need to disconnect that as well. The gearbox will slide (and twist) back about 8 to 10 inches) giving you room to access the clutch/flywheel/back of engine.

Dave H