Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition Light stays on until engine is revved >3K

David Mirylees

So you two spend half the evening together last night then come on here to discuss your tecnical issues ? *tongue*

Thanks to the Dorset crew for a warm welcome last night and not insisting on EVERY grisly detail of my tribulations. Looking forward to getting out and about with you all when my car arrives and the weather improves a touch.

Andy

John,

Why would the crank pulley affect the alternator? (probably my dementia, I know...)

Andy,

Didn't seem to be any time to mention the cars, past lives and some umentionable historic anecdotes took over!

Good decision to leave the 7 at home - far too icy for any playtime with the toys last night.

Great to meet you and looking forward to seeing the new 7.

David, I thought it might have to do with the speed at which the alternator is spinning over-- like yours a blip of the throttle and the light goes out.

Andy, nice to meet you a last, hope you were'nt put off by our relaxed attitude 😬---your new car sounds like it has the right bits already on it *thumbup*

Johnny, the relaxed atmosphere was most welcoming and just to my taste. *thumbup*

I've since found out from Caterham that my car has had the Supersport upgrade to c135 bhp, as John and I suspected, but for which we had no proof. Another little bonus for me.

Looking forward to driving to those meetings in the 7 when the weather improves, and joining you on some Dorset group blats.

Andy

Quoting David Mirylees: 
John,

Why would the crank pulley affect the alternator? (probably my dementia, I know...)

A smaller diameter crank pulley means that less belt is moved for every turn of the crank. This means that the alternator (and other accessories) isn't being spun as quickly as would otherwise be the case.

Thank you for the responses.

No visible Voltage Regulator on the car (I remember playing with those in the good old days!!) so the regulator must be inside the alternator.

Apologies about the crank diameter - I wasn't thinking about normal cars and the alternator drive *mad* The Europa has an independent drive from the inlet camshaft...