Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side Mirrors

JamesA

Has anyone tired the side mirrors sold by Seven Accessories? I do a fair amount of driving without the side screens and have harnesses so side view mirrors would be nice. The picutures on the weebsite of the mirrors look nice and they look easy to install, any opinions about these?

Hi James

I have a pair of these mirrors, and find them to be good.

Because the mirror stems are L shaped each mirror can be mounted either on the left or the right, thus the mirror head can be eithr at the top or bottom of the mounting stem, it gives adjustment, based on driver height and preference.

I have found that while the high position gives a better rearward view, it tends in that position to osbure my natural eyeline when drving forwards and looking forwards at about 1.00 o clock.

Better than the standard mirror.

John Gathard

James; I have no experience of the side mirrors you talk about but there are also the "German style" mirrors. You do not see them often but seem to be a good solution as you can run with side screens on or off. I have heard that they take some setting up but once set are very good with very little shake. To see what I am talking about look here. I called these people and I was refered to Redline in Caterham.

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

Marc "Bentley Boy" Hicks has a pair of these German mirrors (sourced from Mick at Redline) and he loves them. They do appear to be effective and he combines them with wind deflectors.

Personally I don't think the style looks right on modern 7s.

I intend to get a pair of the Seven Accessory clamps and attach a pair of SPA mirrors to them, as many of the racers use.

I guess Nifty it's all about taste I have been looking for an alternative mirror for some time. I saw the German style for the first time this summer and thought they were just the right for the seven gives it that classic look. Actually I thought very Jim Clark, cool *cool*

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

Peardrop,

Have E-mailed the Word doc Seven Accessories sent me but the pictures aren't close enough for you to see the design. I said clamps but brackets might be a better description. They are simply designed to "hook" around the forward edge of the windscreen upright and then secured with a pin going through the sidescreen brackets (they are lined with a layer of neoprene to avoid scratching of polished surfaces). 100% removable in seconds, no alterations, drilling of windscreen pillars required. Unfortunately the basic design uses the bulky, plastic Westie mirrors which I do not think fitting to a Caterham but I have seen racers at Hyperion that have used the same bracket but fixed Spa mirrors in place of the Dudley plastic *tongue*

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Cheers,

Nifty.

Thanks for the email, Nifty - I was way off 😳!

BTW, you may want to look at this, this and this.

Has some clever soul simply realised that the screw for the SPA mirror boss is the same size as the screw holding a door hinge in place *confused*

I'm wondering if you don't have to remove the ball joint though ... I don't know ... but I suppose it saves weight *tongue*!

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 13 Nov 2002 22:11:53

Peardrop,

I ve done exactly the same as the above pictures. Remove the ball joint and just screw on.

Only problems - seriously restricts side-screen opening if you want to put them on. Also at very high speed (trackdays only *wink* *wink*) my near side mirror seems to want to assume a more aerodynamic position - i.e. horizontal. Have tried tightening as much as I dare but still does and I'm a little nervous of stripping the thread (alu) if I tighten further.