Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series temperature

jp7

Hi all, a couple of times recently the temperature on my 1.8k has suddenly jumped up to just below the red and the fan seems reluctant to come on. The first was climbing the long hill by junction 8 m25; the second coming off a motorway, where i'd been doing a constant 4500rpm, to a standstill at traffic lights. Engine is standard, and there's no air locks.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

Hi John, great sausages. I've had it bled with the front of the car in the air, and the heater on. The water level is up to the expansion hole in the top of the radiator, and the expansion bottle is up to the mark. I cant see where an airlock could be.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by - andy perry on 10 Nov 2002 13:49:55

Radiator fan switch is a known point of failure. Mine's never given up, but plenty have on the Se7ens Tours each year. Many people who suffer repeated problems of this type ("repeated", as in change the damn switch and it still fails) end up fixing a temporary manual override switch under the dash until they can get a replacement. Some have made that a permanent feature and fixed it into the dash. Although I've never had this problem I've decided I've chanced it long enough and I've wired my fan to the Emerald M3DK which can control the fan. You can alter the switch on/off settings at your choice in the software.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Hi all, definately no air in there. I was chatting to Mick Smith who said it may be a function of the radiator over cooling the water ( It's only happened recently when the air temps have dropped ). It goes like this. The thermostat closes, water heats up in the engine, thermostat opens and allows cold water in, thermostat closes abruptly as water temp to low, hence the water in the engine gets hotter and hotter. This he says is a problem with the caterham setup of thermostat on the inlet and temp sensor on the outlet. His solution is to blank off the radiator a bit in winter to cut down its efficency.

Sounds plausable to me.

Cheers

Andy