Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How do I know what Cams I've got?

Guysie

Help needed please folks..I'm not a very technical person.

2 months ago I purchased a "7" (privately) with a 2 litre Zetec, twin 45's De-Dion etc...It has a Dunnell 3D management system (whatever that is!).

I want more power!! How do I find out whether there are some sexy cams hidden in the engine, or are we still using standard ones?

Also - she drinks fuel - loads of it!! 140 miles from a full tank, about 20 mpg.. Is this normal?

All help appreciated *confused*

All Zetecs can run unleaded.

Regarding cams, if you can take the cam cover off and measure the lift that will make things easier. Kent cams have KC2001 or KC2002 marked on the opposite end from the pulleys if hydraulic. Dunnell also have a couple of profiles. How much power does the engine make? That will also give some clues.

From memory the KC2001 have around 10.5 mm lift on the intake and less on the exhaust. The 2002 lif around 11 mm inlet and exhaust. Don't know about Dunnell's own as I have never seen them.

AMMO

Thanks for your info Ammo.

In answer to your question about power, I put the car on a rolling road last month, more out of interest than anything else. It came out at 185bhp at 6400 RPM, and torque was 167lbft at 4600 RPM. I have since learnt that these are not very accurate, and having spoken to Paul Dunnell - he thinks that it will probably be a standard Zetec pushing out 165 bhp (flywheel).

I basically want more ooomph or grunt. Rumours say that these engines are good for 210 bhp on carbs - really just want to know the easiest and best value way of getting there.

Guysie

The stock head flows 102 cfm which is good for 165 bhp. The heads I have tested have no increase in flow over 7.5 mm (the lift of some stock cams). I've done a lot of heads for Formula Ford Zetec and there is a different intake throat on some heads which were probably off the 130 bhp variant. These have 10.5 mm lift cams not dissimilar to Kents FZ2001 (262 degrees duration). There are some variations between standard heads. Doesn't matter what you start with as they all end up the same after porting. While the head is off a skim to raise compression is a good idea. If you stay under around 11:1 you can still run 95 octane and use something like Shell Optimax for trackdays.

With a bit of porting 125 cfm at around 10/ 11 mm lift is easily attainable which is good for 215 bhp. With more porting on stock valves you can see around 130 + cfm. With big valves you can get in the region of 140 cfm. This starts to get expensive as you have to change the valve seats. First level of porting and stock valves in conjunction with FZ2002 cams (278 degrees duration) which retain the hydraulic followers you should be around the 200bhp+ mark. Very driveable. Depending on what your original donor engine is I would also consider changing the valve springs as some of the originals can get very close to coil bind. ARP rod bolts are a must if you don't have them already.

I am also working on some 290 degree hydraulic cams which will give more top end without reducing the bottom end driveability. On my engine I also have an ali crank pulley which slows down the water pump and alternator.

I love Zetecs. They really are a great engine. Bit heavy, but really strong.

AMMO