Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Supertrapps

Nodrog

How easy are they to fit?

My car is a 1.4 K Supersport, with 4in1 exhaust, and I'm having problems with noise levels at the venues I want to go to.

Is any cutting or welding, or boring of holes, required? Will it fit over my present exit pipe, which has a rolled-over end? How easy is it to regularly put on and remove?

Any replies or comments welcome.

Nodrog

N910 RPM

Assuming it's noise tests and not drive by then yes it'll help.

The supertrapp is supplied bare unless your exhaust is exactly the right diameter you need to bodge it to fit. Get a bit of exhaust pipe that a tight sliding fit into your exhaust and weld / braze it to the supertrapp. Then you need to hold it on somehow. I used a captive nut in the supertrapp and a simple hole thro my tailpipe, slide the supertrapp in, fit one bolt thro the tail pipe and it 's fitted. Without the supertrapp fitted all you see is a hole near the tailpipe.

But it's not too clever to use, you can adjust the no of plates in it from none to twelve, less plates means less noise. But it also means less holes for the exhaust to exit thro so on my car anyway the engine runs like a bag of sh*te and won't rev. So it goes like this, fit the supertrapp, go thro noise test with 4 plates in, pass noise, out on track, won't rev past 5000, potter round frustrated, back to paddock, add the other 8 plates and go back on the track. Hence why it won't help with drive by checks.

Of course with a 1.4 K (about as different from my tuned 2.0 Vx as you can get) it might be different. Just how much do you fail noise test by?

Chelspeed

Thanks for that. I was tested at 105 db static, and need to be down to 103 or less. However I'm a bit puzzled, as the previous time I was tested (at a different place, by different people) it was 99 db, with nothing different about the car!!

Nodrog

N910 RPM

Nodrog

105 is huge for a 1.4k, what revs are they testing at? sounds like maybe the meter needs checking or you've blown all the syuffing out of your silencer. My previous 7 a 1.6k supersport with 4 -1 race exhaust used to register 97 at 4,800 revs

Mark

Mark

This was at Kemble with MotorSportevents - 5300 revs (3/4). I've previously been tested at 4500 revs , with various readings in the 90s.

Given what Chelspeed, and others on other threads, have said about performance etc, I'm reluctant to go down the supertrapp route.

I wonder if the conditions (horribly damp, and my car was right beside another - echo effect ??) had anything to do with it?

Ah yes well I reckon the MS Events meter reads hopelessly over, at a Hillavington day a few weeks ago there were about 6 cars failed, many of which surprised me. Best place to get it tested is Goodwood, I am going to speak to Ed about his meter see, if I or he can take it to Goodwood to compare.

Easytrack are at Goodwood on 18th or 30th Novemmber and you can come down and get the car tested, 30th BTW is a charity day with passenger rides, helicopter flights etc etc

Mark

My experience tends to suggest that noise testing is a bit of a lottery.

In June 2001 my x/flow was running at 110db on the standard Caterham exhaust, which was approx. 8 years old. Replaced it with a 6" Techcraft silencer and it went down to 97db. 2 weeks later I went to Bedford Autodrome and was noise tested at 102db at 4,500 revs, a marginal pass. The test was carried out near the hangars.

In June 2002 and some 6,000 miles later I was noise tested at Hethel, 95db at 5,000 revs. This test was undertaken in a very open car park.

I guess ultimately, there must be a trend for certain engined cars, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how good the equipment is, how good the operator is and the surroundings of the noise test.

Just my tuppence worth *wink*

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Drive it like you stole it! *cool* *thumbup*