Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rechargeable AA batteries

myothercarsa2cv

That looks like the LaCross BC-900 - which I have too. £20 is a good price, it's a great charger.  Only downside is default charging rate of 200mA which is low for AAs, and a slightly fiddly interface to increase it.

When looking at cheaper chargers, avoid anything that charges in pairs. You really want individual charging/sensing for each cell. Some cheap chargers don't have "delta-V" voltage sensing, and just have a timer. That's bound to under or over charge most batteries.

When did Eneloops become Panasonic?  Do Panasonic own Sanyo these days?

I purchased a package of pre-charged Eneloop batteries which contained a four-place charger, 2x AAA, 8x AA, 2x C-sized shells, and 2x D-sized shells.  Found this at Costco shortly after this thread was started, but a quick search shows the same (or equivalent) package can be found today at various web-based shops, at least in the U.S.A., and likely in the U.K. as well.

edit -- Yes Roger, Panasonic bought Sanyo.

It's one of the great mysteries to me that Eneloops don't seem to be marketed at all in the UK. I've never seen an advert for them and only found them online due to a recommendation from someone else.

I can't be sure that they're the best rechargeables on the market, but I have about fifty now and they're a revelation compared to other makes I've used. Just being able to charge them up and chuck them in my camera bag knowing that I can use them in six months time is worth a lot. 

Another small point is that you can get them in a range of colours. I have different ones for different flash guns, battery grip, torches, etc. It makes it much easier to make sure you don't end up using the same ones over and over again while others get no exercise.

• 1 year later...

Are Eneloops still the battery of choice? We seem to go through masses of Ikea AA's (and a few AAAs) so thought it would be best to invest in some rechargeable kit.

After initial research.....

- All the big name brands have rechargeables in their line up incl Ikea - which are best (Hopefully JK will help here using his Which membership )

- Do you need a charger of the same brand?

- Chargers seem to range between 15mins and 10 hours to charge - what are pro's and con's of fast/slow charging?

- Anything else to consider?

Main uses - LED torches, Xbox controller, bridge camera, kids RC toys.

Regards

Ian

Yes, I believe Eneloops are still the best, though there are a number of "pre-charged" ones around now most of which are pretty good.

The slower you charge them, the longer they'll last, but there's no need to go over the top. The most important thing with a charger is to get a smart one which charges each battery individually, rather than cutting them all (or two of them) off when one is charged. Or, worse, the timer versions which just whack charge in and hope for the best. A good one will let you choose the charging current so you can charge them overnight, or faster if you need them soon.

The classic charger is the La Crosse / Technoline BC-700

But 7dayshop usually sell some good ones.  They change over time, but from a quick look, this one looks like a great cheapy option at £8.99 or less. This one looks like rebadged Technoline BC-1000 (or possibly a copy).  If you have lithium ion batteries - as commonly used in serious torches - then this one gives you great flexibility for only a pound more than the previous one.

Hi All

About chargers, i have this one Youshiko YC4000 Intelligent AA AAA Professional.

It allows you to change the charging current, do a battery cahrge test, etc.

I would recommend it.

I am about reluctant to recommend the cheap stuff from 7day. I had quite a few of there batteries failed after a just a few month of use.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I happened to be in Costco this pm, and noticed that they have packs of 12 Eneloop batteries, with charger, for just over £21 inclusive of VAT.  

I believe that's a pretty good price, so I thought I'd post it up in case anyone is interested.