Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jedi MK 6 Hayabusa

BSA

I am toying with the idea of building a Jedi MK 6 with a 1400 cc Hayabusa for hill climbing and sprinting

They usually come with a 1000 cc R1 Engine but i think a 1400 cc Hayabusa combination would make a

very rapid and cost effective car

Does anyone have any experience of competing in one of these they do look dare i say rather fragile at kg325

Matt

• Area Representative

Why a Jedi when results would suggest that marques such as OMS, Force, Empire, and DJ would appear to have a significant advantage?

However, non of them seem to be able to live with the GWR Raptor.....

• Area Representative

Quoting classic1952: 
Having seen a bad accident with a 600 Jedi, where the driver's legs were left sticking out of the front........

Having suffered a faily heaft shunt myself this year, I would echo that thought. My poor car distorted around me, but the passenger compartment stayed in tact and straight. There is not much to the front end of something like a Jedi......

My pal had an end of season shunt in his OMS with about the same impactforce as the Jedi prang that I witnessed. He was unhurt and the full impact was taken by the front wing and bolt on deformable crash structure. He remade the crash structure himself and the wing was the only part he needed to replace. I strongly recommend this type of structure for the sort of power a Busa can provide.

Hi thanks for all your views , One the matter of why not OMS , DJ ,Force etc the Jedi did seem exceptional

value but there's the catch front impact cell or the lack of it with the Jedi its construction is rather old school

space frame compared to the others manufacture's

The trouble is, your legs stick out of the front without protection in a Jedi. They have smaller engines and a short wheelbase for a reason.

At Harewood, for example, a Busa engined car might be 15 to 20 mph faster at the top of the hill than a 600 Jedi. A Busa engined Jedi is going to struggle to put the power down and if it starts to lose the back end it is not coming back.

At the local sprints I compete at, for the last decade or so we get quite a few Jedi and OMS. The OMS are usually a couple of seconds faster than the Jedi.

One slightly bizarre thing that I never quite got to the bottom of is that on long fast sprint courses many of them are significantly slower than a decent Caterham or Westfield. When we used to compete at the very fast Wethersfield airfield my 180 hp crossflow was often finishing 4-8 seconds faster than the competing Jedi's and OMS over the 5 mile course. Maybe they run out of gearing or are draggy at high speed ? At the short tight circuits though the Jedi are typically 1-3 seconds faster than a decent seven. I have always thought that given the weight advantage, the slick tyres and the downforce that the Jedi should be slightly faster than it is.

As a case in point, The last sprint I competed in was in May this year (Debden) the fastest Caterham (a well pedalled 1600k) did a 1.06 on 1b tyres. It beat two of the Jedi's and the third was only 0.2 seconds faster and they were all on slicks and experienced drivers.

Graham were they 600 cc or the later MK6's with the Yamaha 1000 cc R1 Engine's ? I know of at least 1 Jedi

that was specially built by the Factory for a Busa instillation and the owner opted for the slightly longer

Chassis option you can see it if you search in youtube.

Graham i can't understand then their lack of top end performance, Formula Jedi web site states that the mk6

Championship Car with the latest R1 engine 175 bhp and 6 speed box is good for 150 mph *confused* They don't run that high a down force set up. There wings are quite modest compared to other single seat hill climb cars

Matt

Can't comment on the Jedi front end strength, but we have seen 999cc Jedi Mk6 comfortably win single seater races at Brands, lapping in low 46's which is similar pace to a well driven PR6 1300 and a 1500 SR3 busa, so they must have pedigree. Be down to set up, tyres and the good old pedaler *smile*

I can verify the structural integrity of a spaceframed DJ single seater, i had a lock up into the first hairpin at Wiscombe and speared into the tyrewall, although nowhere near 100mph it was still a fair thump but the total damage was the front wing endplate and fixing bracket and a bent upper wishbone, mine was chassis number 001 but Del Quigley deliberately built it a foot longer and nearly a foot wider than the little Jedis to make it more stable and safer for the driver.

I hit 148mph at a Goodwood sprint with the front and rear wings flattened out and on the longest gearing propelled by a GSXR1100WP engine in fairly standard tune - it was still on the original bike carbs for example and weighed 340kgs wet without me in it.

Quoting Pendennis: 
Can't comment on the Jedi front end strength, but we have seen 999cc Jedi Mk6 comfortably win single seater races at Brands, lapping in low 46's which is similar pace to a well driven PR6 1300 and a 1500 SR3 busa, so they must have pedigree. Be down to set up, tyres and the good old pedaler *smile*

And an astonishing lack of weight.

• Area Representative

If you really want a Jedi, why not buy a ready to go package like this here?

If you like the single seater experience, sell it for close to what you've spent, and upgrade to a tool that is really capable of getting the job done.

If not, sell it without suffering the initial depreciation of a new build.

Surely it's better to have a close to competitive 1100 class car than an uncompetitive 1600 class car?