Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knob issues... (Now solved!!!)

the.vet

She's finally arrived - 2 years lurking on here without a 7 is now over!

First job is to change the gear knob and I'm stuck already!

6 speed box, original knob. Removed by unscrewing but it looks like there is an entension piece on the original shift lever. Have trawled archives but still unsure if it's ok to remove this and if so, how??? Can't get a gri on the shaft (arf arf) to unscrew it!

Ta,

Graeme

Edited by - the.vet on 16 Jan 2013 10:38:42

Edited by - the.vet on 13 Feb 2013 19:06:15

Cheers for the link, the two Nut approach sounds like it'll work. Think they are m12 but anyone know if they are unc or unf thread? Also would you use counter pressure on the shaft with some stilsons to prevent trauma to the linkage innards?

Graeme

Edited by - the.vet on 20 Dec 2012 13:34:28

*arrowup* Sounds like you have lathe at home Duncan...good man *thumbup*

My late Dad had a complete machine shop at home & never retired. He restored vintage motorbikes & engines for many years. He was so skilled at the lathe & the mill, no CNC equipment. I never learnt to use the machine tools & all the equipment has now been sold. ☹️

One of the last things my dad did before he died (back in 1992) was to design and start to make an ali gear knob for the 7. Didin't finish it before he died, sadly, but I completed it a few weeks afterwards, and it's been on the car ever since.

Reminded of him often when I drive the car and is one of my most valued posesssions.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm still struggling with my knob ☹️

I ordered some 3/8" UNC nuts to try to lock them together (as above) to remove this damn gear stick extension thing but they don't fit...

I've now measured the threaded shaft - 10.3mm outside diameter. Threads/inch appears to be about 14 but I'm not very good at measuring this.

I'm now wondering if I've got a weird size or have I been sent the wrong nuts...

Sorry for mixing old and new measurements but as a child of the 80's, I'm neither fluent in imperial or metric (thanks maggie!)

Graeme

Just a thought ...... if you are trying to remove a screw on extension shaft .... maybe it is secured with loctite thread locking compound. Try heating the joint with a hot air gun on highest setting. This should soften the compound to allow you to unscrew it.

Suggest you remove the top plate on the gearbox - complete with the gear stick. Then you can hold the stick in a vice and grip the extension with mole grips.

Are you sure there is an extension? An extension on the original lever would put it too high to use under the dash lower edge.

Removing the tunnel top trim will allow you to see the full lever assembly and how to remove the whole thing from the gear box by removing the three M8 screws.

you can then abuse it as you like mounted in a vice without fear of damage the car or gearbox - but you might wreck the actual lever.

Bri

OK, its cold and my tolerance for the unheated garage is low...

Do you have to disconnect the handbrake to get the tunnel top off or is it a case of brute force?

There is definitely an extension attached to the original shaft. See image here:

linky

this is driving me nuts :-( Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Tunnel top is fun. First get under car and slacken off handbrake adjuster until lever can be pulled to vertical. This is two knurled plastic nuts. One locks against the other.

There are two self tapper screws at the rear of the tunnel cover .... down the sides of the tunnel .... they screw into the rear bulkhead.

Then you can pull the cover backwards and lift it off the handbrake and gear lever.

Definitely apply some heat and use a vice and molegrips.

Three screws will let you remove the lever from the gearbox. Just apply the heat to the extension sleeve. The vice that holds the gearstick will help keep the heat from radiating down to the ball.

Quoting the.vet: 
I've now measured the threaded shaft - 10.3mm outside diameter. Threads/inch appears to be about 14 but I'm not very good at measuring this.

I'm now wondering if I've got a weird size or have I been sent the wrong nuts...

Sorry for mixing old and new measurements but as a child of the 80's, I'm neither fluent in imperial or metric

There's an app for that

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 16 Jan 2013 16:57:58

• 4 weeks later...

SO I've finally done it!

Turns out there is an extension - 2 inches long female 3/8ths thread one end and male 1/2 in UNC at the other!

2 nuts a wrench and a bit of force saw it off. Now I've got the shiny caterham knob I've always wanted!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Graeme