Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec into K series hole

paul jacobs

Yes it may be all of those things, but so are other engines, and at least they are reliable! Yes I also suffered the dreaded HG problem and the dead starter click when I had one.

People are going to say that all the problems are overcome now, but it is still happening and costing people a packet. I can't help but think that CC should have stuck with Ford [if they could, but not the dreaded Pinto or X/F CVH *wink* of course]

Yes it is tuneable, but again at a price. I thought so when it was first announced and have seen nothing to change my mind.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 19 Dec 2012 11:08:41

Ok, let's forget the previous posts both positive and negative.

I converted my car last year from XF on carbs, to K series on tb's.

Assuming you're on injection, the wiring shouldn't be too much of a hassle to run tb's off an Emerald, just a bit of rerouting/lengthening of wires maybe.

Similar with your fuel delivery and return pipes. Maybe need to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Using my original 5 speed gearbox, my gearstick moved back 3 inches, so I'm guessing yours will move the same amount forward, you'll have to reposition your gearbox support bracket aswell.

It's possible your engine mount holes will be there in the chassis, otherwise you may have to drill through for the passenger side one, I think the driver's side will possibly stay the same, although using a different bracket.

Depending on which exhaust manifold you use, you could get away with enlarging your existing side panel hole, or maybe have one custom-made to suit said hole.

You will need heavier-rate springs and dampers (my front end lifted 20mm on the xf Bilstein set-up once I'd got my unreliable piece of cheese settled in place)

But don't forget to buy one of those retro BD camcovers, they are actually quite nice!

Any help? 😬

That's more like it, there's plenty there to find out about. I assume that if you had used a Zetec it may have been even easier?

I understand, of course, that in reality, if the car is designed for a K, which has gone t1ts up, it is easyier to obtain another K and drop it in. 😬 My question was mostly theoretical and out of interest.

Quoting Paul Jacobs: 
I assume that if you had used a Zetec it may have been even easier?

That's correct as the Zetec uses the same bell housing as a x/flow, the same engine mounting points (albeit with different mounts, the exhaust exits through the same hole in the sideskin (although necessary to enlarge) and the carbs and/or TBs use the same hole in the bonnet. Basically a Zetec simply bolts in and away you go......