Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inner Tubes

Smally

My recently renovated alloys could not be relied upon to keep the air in the tyre, and I've reached a compromise solution of fitting tubes inside the AO21s on 2 of the wheels. Can anyone think of a drawback for this 🤔

I have two tubes in the wheels on my tin-top as the alloys are a bit of a mess after the 190k miles it has done. The guy said just be sure to tell the next fitted thatyou have them and they can be re-used....

Only downside on a 7 - a bit more rotating mass.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

something to do with tubes in tyres specifically designed to be tubeless I believe - would have to be an eagle eyed police-person or MOT test to spot a tube.

Been there, done that, turned the tyre so the side wall gash wasn' so visible against the inner wing . . .older, wiser and richer now!

There are treatments available to stop porous alloys leaking - at a pinch I'm sure a decent engine rebuild place could do it or recommend somewhere fomr impregnating alloy heads.

Cheapest and easiest option, if not a permanent solution is a serious wire brushing and cleaning of the tyreless wheel and a couple of coats of paint.

If recently refurbed, I'd be inclined to take them back for checking / re-coating. Even a tyre re-seat with loads of soap could cure the problem.

Last time I had similar thing was due to a dumb tyre fitter/destroyer in Germany tearing the bead - no seal to rim.

Bri

I believe speed rating is the main reason. The other could be that with a tube you can get an instantaneous puncture and deflation. Possibly not a problem inside a tubeless tyre but a tube can deflate very fast once pierced whereas tubeless tyres unless the damage is extensive give you a bit of warning. Seen this loads of times when we used to put tubes in truck tyres.

Tubes in tubeless tyres get hot and "ultimately" wear through. It IS illegal, but you are unlikely to get stopped (who can tell?) It would eed an eagle eyed loss adjuster in the event of an accident to spot it, though it's a theoretical possibility, and if he does spot it you are fcuked. They only need one excuse.

The long term cure is to clean up the rims, and repaint them.