Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quaife Sequential gearboxes

SimonB

Some strange comments on here regarding the Quaife unit that I don't fully follow the reasoning for, but anyways.....

We used the Quaife unit for 6,000miles, and once settled, found it to be the best thing I have _ever_ used in a car. I've since changed the box, not out of choice, but out of rules/regulations.

The shift is not heavy and I would never describe it as agricultural, the weight of the shift seemed spot on. With a bike shift, it feels too light, you shift with one finger. The Quaife unit is a solid pull/push but this feels more secure and confidence inspiring.

We managed to get 6,000 miles out of the box, most of which were hard driven competition mileage, and a lot of that clutchless. Quaife are now doing uprated dogs for the box as well. A fantastic piece of engineering and I would happily use it again if the series allowed.

Dave's box sounds great, spot-on price-wise, I'm stunned at the weight and the facility for drop gears is fantastic. *thumbup*

Graeme

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

gee_fin@hotmail.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

I also use the Quaife 6-speed in 2002.

I have the 5th 1:1 and the 6th as a overdrive 1:0,93. So I can race the whole year with only one dif (3.92). I need the 6th only in Spa and Dijon. Early I used a 5-speed Quaife dog-box with diff 4.44 and at Spa and Dijon 4.10. With a strong Vaux a 5-speed is normaly OK. For road and slow circuits nobody need a 6-speed.

In this year I have sometimes problems shifting and find the 4th gear and at the end of the season (I think) the main bearing of the 4th gear is bad. Bad Vibrations. I RACED about 2000 miles and about 1000 miles on road.

My 5-speed dog box is after one season also good for a rebuild.

If I had not the problems shiftig a H-gearbox with a RHD car (as a German with the habit shift with the right hand), I do not come on the idea using and buying a sequential gearbox. The 5-speed dog is good and fast and good enough!

Stand at the pits and hear how fast Barry Horne or Chris Cooper shifting the standard Caterham gear box and you know, that the sequential Quaife cannot be faster. Unbelievable!

I have also had the Quaife box fpor a couple of years, and totally agree with Chelspeeds comments, make the lever as short as possible and it transforms the change.

Is it heavy?-yes. Do I care? -NO. Are gear changes "clunky"?- yes, if you're driving too slowly, give it some gas and the changes are sweet.

No track here yet so can't comment on any competetive advantages.

So why did I buy it? Cos it's a lot FUN!

I will also consider Daves box once it's proven, but it has one disadvantage for me, one gear less to play with.