Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which OptiMate?

billyboanerges

I have both the Ctek XS3600 (here) and the Optimate 4 (in France).

For the 7 either will be fine. I have also used both of them on much bigger batteries.

The CTEK is smaller and lighter which means less chance of denting something if you set off with it connected (guess how I know) 😳. Plus it has a much higher capacity (up to 120 Amp/Hour vs . 50 for the Optimate). I suspect that if it will charge this, it will charge anything Prius.

However, the Optimate is a substantial piece of kit and the lights on the front give you a better feel for what it's doing.

I was a serial battery abuser and have also managed to do clever things such as starting the engine while the charger was still connected to the mains, without anything going wrong. So I am a big fan of both the CTEK and the Optimate, which are great tools that inspire confidence.

Twice the price is still only £25 more and AFAIK the equivalent Halfords item is actually £40 as well as being somewhat bulky and three times heavier than the CTEK.

• Area Representative

Hi Tony,

I have the Optimate 4 and 3 (plus a few others) and both work perfectly well on the seven. I can't see much point in spending the extra on the 6.

Nick