Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SWMBO Seven installation

Bradders

Morning Gents,

SWMBO has expressed an interest in looking to drive the 7 in the spring. Well as interested as she gets around it. Thing is she is not the tallest lass in the world being 4' 11" so I'm not sure whether she is going to reach the pedals very well, and she'll need to be in a very comfortable seating position before she drives it, as she is a little fussy. There's a surprise! We have Tillets, and the adjustment range isn't that great. It's about half way for me as I tower at 5' 7" over her. No need for an SV for us *wink*

I heard rumours of adjustment on the pedals. This true? I've a 2004 Roadsport. If they do have them, how do I go about it and is it a faff to do?

Cheers,

Bradders.

Pedal adjustment... Well, sort of. There are usually two or three different mounting holes for the pedals. Requires a little fettling as the brake MC and cable mounts don't move with the pedals. What would be lovely is an adjustable pedal box where the whole lot can be moved back and forth, but that's probably too much to ask *wink*

Ah. I think that might be a little too much fettling for a quick driver swap. She is only going to be a very occasional driver at the most.

Though that is still useful for me, as I do have a little stretch to the pedals myself, so I could maybe look at bring them back a touch for me. I'll have a look and see where they are positioned now.

Thanks very much gents.

Cheers,

Bradders.

Edited by - Bradders on 5 Dec 2012 11:07:26

Good ideas there. Was going to get some camping mats for under the wheelarches for when I replace them to stop star cracks. I'll see how she fits and then maybe put a seat pad together.

Good to hear I'm not the only short 🙆🏻 S3 owner. Wasn't Colin Chapman 5' 7" Jonathan I seem to remember? So isn't the 7 is essentially designed for us *wink* ??Makes a change something is...

Bradders

I've never been so insulted. 5' 7"? I'm 5' 7.5"!

:-)

Don't know about ACBC but Jackie Stewart is 5' 3", and I think Surteees, Prost and Senna were about that size. Mario Andretti 5' 4".

At this point, according to BlatChat byelaw 147, I am legally required to quote Napoleon*, at least according to Time Bandits:

Alexander the Great, five feet exactly. Isn't that incredible? Alexander the Great, whose empire stretched from India to Hungary, one inch shorter than me. Oliver Cromwell, the only man with any guts in British history, not a big man at all. Louis Quatorze, five foot two half. Charlemagne, dumpy little five-footer. He's quite a little chap. Attila the Hun, five foot one half. Cyrano de Bergerac, five foot three half. Tamerlane the Great, four foot nine and three quarters.
I think I've only once been checked to be short enough for something: selection for RAF Flying Scholarships. There was a sort of seat and a collection of wedges they pushed against you, with lines they all had to clear. It's a big advantage on cheap flights, but having a 5' 2" daughter with you is even better. She can curl up sideways and you get two lots of legroom.

Jonathan

* I know, I know. And about Nelson.

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 5 Dec 2012 14:40:41

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 5 Dec 2012 14:44:06

• Area Representative

Didn't Marcos use a fixed seat and screw adjustable pedal set arrangement? Excellent approach to the issue as it puts the driver in the right position for the door (if any) and windows.

The fact that I need the seat well forward on the 21 (which has a SV-length, in pre-SV times,cockpit) makes it more difficult to get in and out of thatn the Seven. (I suppose I could move the seat every time).

Didn't Caterham abandon the multiple mounting points for the pedals when making the CSR? (if they did, it's a curious decision as it can add very little cost).

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 5 Dec 2012 15:21:22