Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What size dry sump tank?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Just talking to Pace about an Easy Clean dry sump tank to go in front of a shortened passenger footwell. They suggest an 8.25" diameter by 16" high tank (holds 7 litres oil). Has anyone fitted one that size? The smaller 6.5" tank only holds 5 litres.

Thoughts/recommendations please.

No idea on the tank but 7-7.5 litres of oil is pretty much what I run on my dry sumped Duratec with the Brise tank.

You could certainly run less though, I suspect the smaller 5 litre tank would be fine. Especially if you run the internal pump so don't have to worry about belt failure.

Cheers

Rob

I run the easy clean pace 6.5" on my duratec 2L with raceline ds pan. It sits perfectly in the shortened passenger footwell....the 8.5" tank wont fit. I recall from a recent oil change that it was 6.75L inc cooler and 5.25L without cooler.

The hose feeds from the ds pan to the tank is a pain as it sits very very close to the chassis.(the raceline ds pan is designed to run with the R500 cooler and forward mounted tank where the hoses run forwards and its not an issue on the metric chassis)

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 3 Dec 2012 10:57:30

• Support Team

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I don't suppose you've got a picture or 2 of your tank/and fittings?

My plan was to fit engine/tank/etc. and then trailer the car over to Think Auto and get them to make up all the hoses I need (they are not far from me). If it's going to be a pain to fit some of the hoses once everything is in place then I guess I need to get the hoses made up beforehand. Do you know what hoses I'll need? Length and fittings?

A few years ago I took in my (K-series) dry sump pan & pump into Think Auto, brought the tank from them, and they knew what fittings I needed and supplied a lenght of hose to make the pipes up (just black rubber oil hose)

I might be worth talking to them beforehand as they made already know what you need.

• Leadership Team

Shaun - you may already know but Think Automotive are in the Club discount directory offering 10%-15% discount. With the amount of stuff I've bought from them over the years, I wish I'd noticed before...

Michael.

Just talking to Pace about an Easy Clean dry sump tank to go in front of a shortened passenger footwell. They suggest an 8.25" diameter by 16" high tank (holds 7 litres oil). Has anyone fitted one that size? The smaller 6.5" tank only holds 5 litres.

Yes....The standard Caterham dry sump system uses a Pace easy clean tank *smile*

I've this system fitted to my car. It's not currently nearby to measure. But I'm pretty sure it's the 6.5" variety.

I fill the oil to approx 2" below the top baffle.

Caterham also provide a steel tray for the sump tank to fit on, although it would be easy enough to make one up.

Not the best piccie, but have a look at this to give a rough idea here

Ref hoses and fittings, you can buy Aeroquip hose and push on fittings from Demon Tweeks etc. It's easy to cut the piping and push on the barbed fittings as DIY. Perhaps not as nice cosmetically as some braided hoses when new, but easier to keep clean and get the lengths just right perhaps. In saying that, if you are close to a decent supplier, that may be a better option (?)

On a related note, I was skeptical why you'd need an 'easy clean' tank. (I mean oil just pours out, right?) Last spring I did a complete drain, strip and clean and was amazed just how much thick sludge was at the bottom of the DS oil tank, when I'd drained it.

Edited by - skydragon on 7 Dec 2012 14:04:18

Skydragon,

Can't remeber what size Pace I used, I will dig the piccys out and try to work it out.

Re oil level Neil who used to be at Pace (very helpful and knowledgable) reccomended fillibng to 10mm below the top baffle whilst the engine was running and up to temp. My 1.8 K held 7.5 ltrs from a totally dry engine with no cooler (the K holds about 1/2 ltr in the cam carriers )

I think Neil and another guy from Pace set up on there own and were advertising an almost identical DS tank to the easiclean think they were in the N orth Derbyshire area - I'll try to find out.