Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting an aeroscreen

Roger Ford

Any guidelines for doing this? Is it just a case of positioning it until it looks right then drilling the necessary holes? I want to keep the option of refitting the screen (though I probably never will) so I need to avoid the wiper stems, and will probably use rivnuts rather than bolting directly onto the scuttle.

• Area Representative

Roger,

I've been using te earlier style race aeroscreen (with the ally strip bracket).

I use just 4 screws, with nuts on the under side of the scuttle. Access is easy so there is no need for rivnuts.

• Support Team
If you want 4 out of 5 holes hidden by the windscreen when fitted then you can't fit a tonneau easily. I left the most inboard screw off and slid the tonneau under the end of the aero. Now I have an SLR cage, I put a new scuttle on and fitted the aeros further forward and the tonneau fits easily. If I ever want to put the screen back on I'll get another scuttle. First time around I used rivnuts but that left a gap underneath that channelled water into my lap. This time I just used nuts and bolts.

Like Richard I have the older style aeroscreen with the ali bracket and I've fitted mine with rivnuts and found that all of the holes are pretty much hidden by the Brooklands stanchion when that is on the scuttle. No more than 10 minutes to swap between the 2 and the tonneau fits with whatever is on the car. It does look like the older style aero is a slightly different shape from the new one? But still would have thought that the new style could be fitted in the same way.

ETA - Roger, Samsung Netbook???

Edited by - Aeroscreens on 1 Dec 2012 17:10:49

Hi Roger,

I fitted left & right perspex aeroscreens last summer. I fabricated a strap to go over the scuttle using 2.5mm aluminium sheet, with a tracing paper template as suggested by Kevin Russell (of this parish). It works well and looks really good. BM me if you want more pictures or instructions. Linky

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Andy, just looked at them. But that seems to be a totally different style of screen from the one I have. Mike, yours looks very neat, but this is a race car so I don't want to be adding big chunks of extra aluminium, and I'm not sure it would be allowed in the regs anyway.

I'm not concerned about extra holes if/when I refit the screen, but I am concerned about not being able to fit a tonneau.