Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Change without spilling a drop - As if !

Titanium7

Every time I change the oil I always end up thinking, next time my challenge is to do it without spilling a drop, not a drop. I have, on many occasions used 'the old screwdriver trick' for the removal of the filter, not this time. I'm, like many others of the opinion you cannot have enough tools so I ordered off fleabay on of these, supposidly 'trade quality'

http://thumbsnap.com/i/7qTHqH5O.jpg

I also, since the last oil change obtained a Pela 6ltr vacuum pump (used on this occasion to remove the cup full of oil left in the opollo tank saving having to struggle with the drain plug on the bottom).

http://thumbsnap.com/i/9NtvS7iV.jpg

Two brilliant bits of kit and yes not a single drop of oil ended on the floor........except for the half litre of new oil that tipped out of the funnel straight down the exhaust side of the engine when it slipped sideways when filling *cry*

Next time................. not a drop!

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Managed to change mine last week without spilling a drop. Unscrewed the filter by hand (can feel it a couple of days later though !). Whole job half an hour start to finish. Happy with that *thumbup*

Wow you must have a herculean grip to do that!

Then of course you have to get rid of the old oil in the proper way.

You can queue up at the local tip & tip it in their waster oil tank, usually at least a half hour wait at the Tovil tip near Maidstone at the weekend *mad*

Some garages have waste oil tanks parked outside...for anyone in my neck of the woods, the BP garage at the end of Three Elm Lane off the Hadlow road in Tonbridge has had one for years & they take the empty containers. Very useful. *thumbup*