Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1700 x-flow pistons!

strongy

I recently read in some previous posts that the pistons on a 1700 SS Caterham-supplied engine are none too good and would benefit from being replaced. The car that I have bought has covered 34k miles and has not had new pistons (or any other major engine work). Should I be concerned or are there plenty of other owners out there with good things to say about this type of engine. I would appreciate all feedback good and bad. Along with any other useful tips ie - cold starting etc.

Also I rang Caterham today to get an owner manual for a 1989 1700 ss de dion (not supplied with my purchase), but they no longer have any. Does anybody have a spare or unwanted copy? I will willingly pay for it. Many thanks

Strong *cool*

Ps Thanks Mark

Forged pistons are fitted to my car, the same engine and type as yours and the same age. This I believe was due to the 244 cam that was fitted. I have the handbook you mention but it is the only copy. I will happily photocopy bits for you as it is a fair size. email me or let me know if you want to meet up and we can share our happy ignorance.

Cold start? Five prods of the gas turn it over and then blip the pedal while it turns. Never failed so far.

Forged pistons are fitted to my car, the same engine and type as yours and the same age. This I believe was due to the 244 cam that was fitted. I have the handbook you mention but it is the only copy. I will happily photocopy bits for you as it is a fair size. email me or let me know if you want to meet up and we can share our happy ignorance.

Cold start? Five prods of the gas turn it over and then blip the pedal while it turns. Never failed so far.

I believe the general consensus with cross flow is that if they are performing okay and aren't smoking or going thru bucket loads of oil you're fine and it'll just be something to bear in mind for the future.

Mine's done 15k and has had a hard paper round since I got my hands on it (or rather Jane and her special valve bouncing antics - cue rev limiter!) and seems to be fine although I'm about to start a rebuild fund for the year after next to hand over some readies to someone like Roger King here for a rebuild with some extra ponies 😬

I think it's safe to say have a word with Roger if you have any questions, very amenable, knowledgable and helpful chap by all accounts *thumbup*

ps Cold starting I use 3 prods

Buckingham Massive doing it in flares...

I think you'll find that Roger expects trouble from the standard pistons by about 20,000 miles. Mine ran for 45,000 miles without trouble, till I took it for a precautionary rebuild by Roger. I kept exactly the same spec as before, and ran it for another 20,000 miles before replacing the car with another 7. I did however have a rev limiter fitted, which I had set at 6000 rpm.

I have nothing but praise for Roger's work.

My car's going into RK next week for a precautionary/minor power hike rebuild. Engine's done 28K miles with no real problems but I'll feel a lot happier when the acknowledged weak points with the Supersprint engine have been removed.

Anyway the clutch is on it's way out so it was engine out time anyway. What better excuse did I need, even the missus was convinced that it made sense!

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.7gallery.co.uk

Mine has got to 28K and now smokes a bit (like the owner) and breathes heavily when exercised, again just like....

It has had an increasing track day use over the last couple of years and a sprint or two and it has got to the stage where on track days I have to empty the oil catch tank at least once, and I can tell you it gets pretty hot!

Despite this, it has been completely trouble free and until the excessive smoking problem I had no plans to do much to it. I had been advised though, which seemed pretty sensible, that this was a sign of wear and or something breaking and it would be advisable to get it checked.

I like many others have been to Roger King to consult on the rebuilding and have convinced myself that it is worth getting a few extras to a straight rebuild - don't we all?

I usually use 4 prods and then hope to catch it before the battery gives up in the Winter time. Summer is usually no trouble.

I got given a manual from Caterham for my 1989 De Dion Supersprint when I bought it second hand from them. e-mail me if you would like a copy at msankey@merckpharma.co.uk

Mike

Hi Strongy, my original engine had not done more than 500 miles before I updated the pistons given the general concerns.

Suggest you go for peace of mind and get them fitted as part of an engine refresh. A quick cam swap and a bit of head work and you will not recognise the engine.

If you are doing a reasonable milage you may want to fit a 3d system, ( Roger has these and it is easy to fit - if you need front pick up and spacer for front disc I have these and you are welcome to them if it it helps ).

Roger is the chap to get your x-flow running well and any upgrades

Best regards

The standard pistons are often quoted as a weakness. They are cast pistons from a 1300cc engine, I believe. Mine went for 45,000 miles before I got a rebuild.

If you change pistons on a 34,000 mile engine and the bore is worn and needs a rebore, you may not be able to get cast pistons to fit and so you will need to get forged pistons to fit the new bore size.

It's likely that a 34k engine would be tired but could do another 10,000 miles before it gives up but your mileage may vary (a very apt saying, in this case *smile* )

Cold starting - it depends on how long the car's been stood since it was last started. The petrol disappears out of the weber carbs gradually. You need to crank the engine until the float chambers are full again. Crank until it coughs on its own, then give it gentle stabs on the throttle until it catches. If you've got an electric fuel pump you probably won't have this problem. Otherwise, if its been sitting for a week, it can take a long time cranking before it coughs. Keep the battery well charged.

Anthony