Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Different differential options

gundersen

For my winter upgrades I have bought what will become a roughly 200bhp engine and a Caterham six speed gearbox to match, and now I am looking for a differential.

The car is a 2002 de'dion with an open diff and a ratio to match the current five speed gearbox, and I am looking to replace it with an LSD that will match the six speed (3.62?). I think that both plate and ATB diffs have their merits, so I am open to any of them.

I would like to buy a complete diff, but I have been unable to find one used...so I need a bit of help with my options *smile*

As I see it, I can:

1) Buy one from CC, but I can't seem to find a 3.62 LSD on their list

2) Buy one from raceline, they quote £995 for a complete diff incl. LSD on their website

3) ???

I hope that I have overlooked some options here *biggrin*

I bought mine off ebay, as a lot of people think it is better to get an original Ford manufactured crownwheel and pinion. I then had it rebuilt by Road and Race with a Titan LSD. I'm very happy with the result and the cost was just over £1000 (about the same as swapping to an open BMW diff which I'm glad I didn't go for).

I notice you'd need to add VAT to the Raceline price.

I can't say I'd be willing to buy another diff from Caterham ☹️

Duncan

There's a selection of 3.62 diffs available on the Caterham Parts website, but they all seem to be out of stock: recon with Quaife CWP, recon with Quaife CWP and ATB or 3.62 with LSD.

If it was me, I'd look for an original Ford 3.62 complete diff off eBay or somewhere like that and then decide what diff to get and then find someone to put it all together for you.

Actually, what are you going to use the car for? You might find that you'll be happy with your current 3.92 ratio after fitting the new engine and box. If so, slap an LSD in that instead.

Quoting Mankee: 
If it was me, I'd look for an original Ford 3.62 complete diff off eBay or somewhere like that and then decide what diff to get and then find someone to put it all together for you.
If I lived in the UK I would do the same *biggrin* But finding someone knowledgeable on "old" Ford diffs is a bit hard here in Denmark, and shipping back and forth to the UK will quickly add up. Add to that the Does not ship to Denmark trend on ebay, it would definitely be easier if I can find a whole diff *smile*

Quoting Mankee: 
Actually, what are you going to use the car for? You might find that you'll be happy with your current 3.92 ratio after fitting the new engine and box. If so, slap an LSD in that instead.
It will mainly be used on short trips around where I live and for trackdays, so that might actually be worth trying. Someone has foolishly/kindly offered to lend me a Titan LSD, so that might be worth a shot...

Regarding shipping to Denmark... Have you contacted the seller? I often get stuff from eBay even where they say they don't ship to Norway... Just contact the seller & they're very often willing to ship abroad... Some, of course, don't but most do *smile*

Quoting gundersen: 
It will mainly be used on short trips around where I live and for trackdays, so that might actually be worth trying. Someone has foolishly/kindly offered to lend me a Titan LSD, so that might be worth a shot...

Now that is a very kind soul indeed! Fire your tyre, gear ratio and diff ratio into a calculator and see if the speeds suit your needs. I've been using this one for years:

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/inforatios.html

I've got a version pre-populated for the 6-speed and both 5-speeder ratios if you get bored of looking through the internet for relevant data.

@Neil66: Yes I have done that occasionally, and most of the time it works. There must be some part of the seller registration processes that makes it way too easy for the sellers to dismiss Scandinavia 😬

@SM25T: That is a mighty nice offer! I will definitely keep it in mind when I go looking for the diff.

@Mankee: Thanks *smile*

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting gundersen: 
I actually thought about the BMW diff for a short while as I like the idea of a more modern unit...then I saw the weight and the fact that it doesn't seem to much (if any) better than the old unit.

When I went through this, I wasn't sure whether to "upgrade" to the open BMW diff for £1020 as suggested by Caterham, or to get an old Sierra diff and a Titan LSd for the same money. I got advice from Jason Fletcher and Phil at Road and Race and I'm very pleased (relieved) I made the decision I did.

Duncan

Like many on here I have always been completely happy with the service from R&R. Although they operate from very modest premises the customer experience is always great. Phil fixed something for me on one of my diffs for free a few years ago as he reckoned there was a slight chance he might not have tightened something to the correct torque 4 years previous to that. In those 4 years I had done a lot of motorsport. If only more people were like R&R...... *thumbup*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 4 Dec 2012 08:10:40