Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.4 SS help

Riggsy

Have purchased a 94 1.4 SS, and have following queries..

1) Has an immobiliser ...flashes but not worky?

2) Has a white Gear change lamp on dash, again not worky...simple fix? (what is it good for rev wise, as seems no limiter!)

3) Has 6 speed box upgrade (magic)...4th a bit whiny, I am told normal?

4) Whats the most sensible Brake upgrade if worth it?

5)Removeable steering wheel choice , whats best adapter, I see several on the market

2) Rev it harder!? ISTR the light doesnt come on until 7200rpm!

4) Can of worms there! I presume you have standard brakes? If so, a good first step upgrade is Mintex 1144 pads on the front, standard rear. Plenty in the archives and lots of divided opinions. Personally, on a 1.4k I doubt you need bigger 4 pot callipers - but that doesnt mean you dont want them! Mine car standard off as a 1.4k ex-race car which had standard brakes but an uprated AP Master Cylinder.

When you say the immobiliser doesn't work, do you mean you can still start the engine ? Maybe it has been disconnected ?

Brakes - first upgrade is to try Mintex M1144 pads in the standard calipers. The CC big brake upgrade is expensive With vented discs. I went for the Hi-Spec 4-pot calipers with solid 260mm discs - works well and a lot cheaper.

My car came with the splined type quick-release mechanism. This developed play as it wore. Replaced with the Playskool/Rapfix type QR unit which is great. Much easier to use, as you don't have to line up the splines each time.

1) Immobiliser ....yes finger traced wires all connected, maybe just goosed, simple replacement I guess with a better option nowadays.

2) It does rev well with the 6s box, had it round the clock, no light that I saw (although I was crapping myself at the time!) whats it safe for rev wise, checked threads nothing evident on this.?

4) Brakes yes Standard.... Ok seems we already have a plan there then, Pads it is.

5) Saw the Rapfix on Demon Tweaks so thats a likely choice.

It's a minefield out there...thx

Just rev it in neutral somewhere where you wont disturb the neighbours *tongue*), and take it round to the limiter. Providing the ECU is working, the limiter will cut in to prevent engine damage. Its been a while since I looked, but I think the limiter is around 7600. Its quite high on the buzzy 1.4k, it really is a little screamer.

Endorse the above- the shift light is set at 7600 but mine didn't work. The Vecta did- often immobilising the car as I was half way round a roundabout- get rid asap. ^The brakes on mine were appalilng - I think I had a competition master cylinder upgrade which transformed them , Great engine though - amazing noise!

The Vecta immobiliser is very unreliable on 1400 ss and is likely to leave you stranded so is best removed. Do a search on here and there are several threads. The original company that supplied these is long gone.
It is also fecking heavy .. you're first upgrade, unsplice it and throw it in the bin ... but be careful not to drop from too high as it will put a hole in the bottom

Quoting TomB: 
Just rev it in neutral somewhere where you wont disturb the neighbours *tongue*), and take it round to the limiter. Providing the ECU is working, the limiter will cut in to prevent engine damage. Its been a while since I looked, but I think the limiter is around 7600. Its quite high on the buzzy 1.4k, it really is a little screamer.

Please don't do this. Just the thought of it makes me wince. The rev-limit is there for a reason and the engine is not designed to be taken to it unloaded.