Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Turning Circle (numpty Question)

Bellissimmo

Johnv: 😬 Suits me! But my biggest issue is that it is harder to reverse into a parking space in my SV than it is in a people carrier - guess I just need more practice *redface*

SM25T: If the 'm' stands for miles, that'd be about right *tongue*

Jonathan: Thanks for the linky. I guess this is the root of the problem, although I don't have any scuff marks or dents anywhere. Presumably there is some sort of mechanical stop on the steering somewhere - maybe there's some room for adjustment there?

Presumably there is some sort of mechanical stop on the steering somewhere - maybe there's some room for adjustment there?

Yep, there is... Have 'adjusted' the collars on the rack a number of times 😬

First, measure the space between the wheel (or wing with Cycles) and the body on full lock to see what adjustment can be made.

Dutton Phaeton like the one parked at the bottom of my garden waiting for the nest trial - full lock turn makes the inside rear wheel describe a circle of about 12" radius 😬

Took some modding to get proper ackermann (rather than inverse ackermann) and no bump steer over the full suspension movement. Involved grinder, welder and hammers *cool*

Bri

Sporting trials cars have an amazing lock, if you've never experienced this form of motorsport check a local event out - good days entertainment and a really nice bunch of people! http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8ca8kWU6yjc/UKFjKN19x6I/AAAAAAAAK0w/2Ua2-ol55oU/s640/IMG_4605v2.jpg

With clams the steering could be turned to the full extent of the old rack (mini rack upside down I think). But, with cycle guards the guards catch on the ali bodywork and also the wing brackets catch on the anti roll bar when turned the other way. I converted from clams to cycle and this was a downside of the conversion. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the turning circle with clams is second only to a London taxi. Caterham fitted rack stops to restrict steering movement and this then became standard and was carried over when they made their own rack. I have thought about sculpting a piece of the cycle guards and reprofiling the brackets to get full lock back which would be quite handy.