Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Off Topic- Honda k20 2ltr engine tuning

DSL

I can see why you are looking at it but the standard engine has a 11.5:1 compression ratio and it already redlines at 8600 with it's max 222hp at 8000. Bearing that in mind I don't think we would see the 100+ extra BHP you can squeeze out of a 170bhp Duratec.

Honda K20

Compression: 11.5:1

Power: 225 PS (165 kW; 222 hp) @ 8000 rpm

Torque: 215 N·m (159 lb·ft) @ 6100 rpm

Redline: 8600 RPM

Jason

Reason being that one of the cars I'm considering uses the Honda with a bespoke billet low profile drysump, used as a stressed part to mount components too. That's in 250bhp format to comply with speed series CN rules.

Hence re-engineering for a Duratec would be a major expense, they tell me the Honda engine can be tuned to 300bhp by a company called Clockwise Motion handily based about 10 miles away from home. Having spoken to the owner who came across as a decent guy & very knowledgeable with inhouse manufacturing of many components I feel pretty confident but wondered if anyone here had any direct experience with tuning the Honda motors they could pass on to re-assure me it will all be alright *wink*

friend of mine put a K20Z4 out of a Civic R into a 7 a couple of years ago. Fitted with 4:2:1 exhaust and Jenvey taper TBs we had 235bhp and 175lbft on the Track N' Road rolling road. Ditched the Honda ECU and CoP setup in favour of a DTA and wasted spark coils plus Pace dry sump. The DTA also controls the VTech cams.

Graphs here.

Edited to add that we also spoke to these guys who seemed very knowledgeable.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 11 Nov 2012 17:59:36

In my Elise the K20 does around 235bhp and that is standard apart from filter, exhaust and Hondata ecu. The exhaust isn't optimised. With JDM cams I would see north of 250 bhp. Because the engine is so good in original format I suspect that after that you are on a steep curve of diminishing returns unless you have forced induction and a charge cooler (330bhp) .i have little doubt that 300 is possible though