Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

My 1.6K is sick...

Ted_7

I had the same thing happen to me. It was the sender - the sensor in the radiator which sends the signal to the fan to cut in. It took 10 seconds to replace and cost £10 quid.

Try that before you do anything else.

Regards

Rowland

Ne t'inquiet pas Pierre, it faut que tu fasses le boulot quand le moteur se cuit.

(tr: Don't panic mate, do the job when it cooks)

Seriously it is a really big job, and even K series don't pop too often. Not changing the coolant isn't too big a crime ( I know my old vauxhall Cav, still on its original gasket, is running 10 year old 180,000 mile coolant in the hands of my best mate, who is running it into the ground. (Quote: "F-k me Steve, it's hard as nails, I've taken it to hell and back, all the ancillaries are knackered but it keeps going, the bastard just won't roll over")

When mine died the bill from the engine rebuilders was about £80 for a head strip and skim, the rest of the bill was gasket set (£75), cambelt

and fluids. Why don't you save up until you want some head surgery, say porting or cams, then get it done in one go? It would save ripping it to bits just for the sake of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.