Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen sources/costs

Steve-B

I cracked the heated windscreen on our SV on the targa-liege.... ☹️

I don't have to have a MOT for 2.5 years.... 😬

The crack is not moving for 1.5 months..... *thumbup*

Am I better sourcing a autoglass replacement, for less cost, or just waiting until MOT time and buying a new one 🤔 🤔 🤔

Are there alternative sources for these? I don't want to convert to an aeroscreen

Steve

SV VHPD *idea*

Drive like your wife *wink* depended on it....

click here to see our 7 and rallye pictures....

Having replaced 5 screens now I have to warn you that they are Caterham specific. That said, notify the screen-replacement company as indicated by your insurance, pay them £50, tell them what your insurance policy number is and they'll source a new screen for you (you normally have to supply Caterham's contact details too)... and they'll fit it if you trust them. Actually, I wouldn't trust them, but fitting one yourself isn't as easy as you might think. The rubber seal is difficult to get to lie flat.

You don't just get the screen, you get the whole surround (not the stanchions though) with the poppers ready for the hood.

MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM WHAT COLOUR SURROUND YOU NEED, and obviously the fact that it's off an SV.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

And if you're insured through MSM you might be able to save the 50xs if you fit it yourself.

I found the most awkward part getting the seal to the right length. Flattened OK but was a bugger to cut correctly.

Windscreen wipers are the same. Why can't Caterham supply these bits the right length? You'd have thought after 40 years...

Warning.

I'm insured with (Avon) Footman James.

First claim ever for new screen as it had a large stone chip (received on the L7C of GB International event) + radial cracks & heating element now U/S. Advised by FJ to get a replacement, send in bill. I said I'd fit it. I was told I'd get a cheque for 225 less the 50 excess; ie 175UKP.

Have just had a REJECTION letter from Avon insurance who said that as the screen wasn't damaged they couldn't pay and that the heater element failure was fair wear & tear!

They haven't even seen/examined it so how the h*ll do they know.

If they make this much fuss over a 'screen what would they be like if (God forbid) I had an accident? 🙆🏻

Mmm, with MSM I didn't have to pay for the screen up front. I just called Autoglass, gave my insurance policy number and explained what I wanted. Once they'd picked up the screen from Caterham they turned up at my house where we exchanged my £50 cheque for the screen. No hassle.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

• Leadership Team
It really is sad that the heated screen is only supplied as a complete unit with surround. All screens get gradually pitted with road rash, and realistically I would like to replace the glass in mine. Yes I could take a hammer to it, pay 50 quid to my insurers and have £350 worth of screen delivered to my door, but my ethical values are higher than that. Having recently removed the glass to have the surround powder coated, it really is not a complex job to fit a new glass. Come on Caterham, get your act together and add the glass (only) to the availability list.