Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy Belt

Toby

Went out for a quick drive in the car at the weekend and noticed the timing belt was rasping slightly. The belt looks fine and I was going to have it replaced over the winter when I have a few bits and pieces sorted. Can I get away with this for a couple of weeks (not many miles but 1 race at Silverstone) and if not does anyone know of a decent place near Ashford Middlesex who could do the job in a hurry.

Toby,

I'd suggest tracing the noise to see exactly where it's coming from before doing anything with it. The belt cannot make any significant noise on its own, so it's either rubbing on something (the cover?) or the noise is coming from elsewhere.

Take the cover off and see if the belt's shiny or damaged where it's been rubbing, and crank it round by hand while checking to see if all the teeth are still intact.If it looks OK visually, try running it with the alternator belt off to eliminate that, and have a good listen to the water pump if it's still making the noise.

HTH

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Stuart - thanks for your advice. Finally got around to tracing the noise yesterday (sorry if I was a bit vague when I spoke to you at the ball I was a bit pissed!). Followed your instructions and the belt is sound. Eventually tracked down the noise to one of the carbs. Nowhere near the cambelt I know, but it was making a very wheezy 'worn-belt' type noise. Hmm still not very good at this mechanical stuff, but at least I got there in the end!