Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Mirrors etc

Colin Grundy

Does anyone know if it is possible to get reasonably priced mirrors to fit on the side of the windsreen stancions. I presume the fitment of these is not too difficult. Also what sort of job is it to replace the winsceen and stancions. are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks

*confused*

I fitted Racetech mirrors to my stanchions...inspired by Andy Murphy, I might add, but better positioned to allow me to detach the side screens. Involves drilling one hole in each stanchion, about midway between the top of the lower hinge and bottom of the upper hinge is about right (but do check that this will allow you to detach the sidescreen (or "door" as I believe Caterham refer to it as).

Racetech do produce carbon mirrors, but these have plastic "glass" in them which will discolour with age and are more expense than the standard plastic body/glass lens ones (ISTR about £25 each for standard ones).

Net benefit is mirrors that don't flap aroun at anything over 10 mph. Downside is that they do restrict access into the car, although this does prevent the passenger from carelessly scratching the bonnet with the door as they fling it open....

Hope this helps

Mark's correct, except I can also still remove my sidescreens.

Mark at Ratrace has made up some little brackets for his that attache to the hinges, extend forwards and the mirrors fit in there. Also a neat solution.

Note that your doors only open 90 degrees or so in this mode, but you get used to it.