Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hoods

Geoff Johnson

Now I know that I am asking for trouble & that those with Aeroscreens etc etc will accuse me of wearing the knickers that Anna leaves behind, but I went to put my hood up to bring the car to work & it has now lost 2 studs, is ripped up both seams at the back & has over the summer rotted where it has rubbed across the rear of the car. Does anybody know if these are caterham supplied only, or are there other deals out there. If so how much am I looking at. I also guess that each one has to be individually fitted to the car, is this correct?

Geoff

Can't help with the search for alternatives, but would like to register my own disapproval for the quality of the standard hood. Especially the poppers, which break often.

Same poppers hold down the laughable carpets - they took about 30 seconds of ownership to rip through the mats. Mats were turned to soup caused by leaky Caterham factory build (won't make that mistake again) by that time anyway and were discarded without further delay.

Don't care what people say, I use my hood alot. Need to get to a business meeting? - need a hood. Need to park in the street all day (every day)? - need a hood. etc.

Hoods do have to be fitted individually. Don't know if you can get other than from Caterham (eg direct from supplier whoever that is) except I have one that I never fitted to my car (got extra tall cage which it won't fit over). I'm sure I can undercut Caterham's price if you're interested!

Whatever you need to do to replace you hood best of luck BUT carry it about in a hood bag available from Caterham. Smart, relatively inexpensive and has 7 stitched in the ends. When you get the bag get a length of plastic house guttering the same length as the bag and persuade it to go in. This will stop the bag looking limp (steady)and the chaffing of both the bag and the hood inside. You can do this helpful handy tip twice with one standard length of guttering so phone a friend.

The hood and tonneau are made by Oxted trimming company. I called them to ask for a mod so I could fit the tonneau and leave the headrests in place. It seemed like a sensible request...

They won't do anything direct. Something to do with the contract with Caterham. I cannot find anyone to do the mod for me, so, perhaps finding someone to so a copy of the Catherham hood will be tough. I happen to think that there ought to be a better solution, particularly with a view to having some zips to make it a little easier to get in and out!!

Tony Stattersfield

Tim - how much for your hood (if Geoff doesn't want it - he asked first!). I'm after a cheap one (doesn't matter if it's not too pretty) to hack to fit over my Vx race rollover bar.

S33VEN - there's a guy in Cambridge who will do mods, I got him to put an extra hole & flap (ooer) in my tonneau cover so it works with both the standard FIA rollover bar/brace and the Vx race version. You'll need to take the car to him and leave it there.

DS Thompsett

27 Cave Ind Estate,

Fen Rd,

Cambridge

(01223) 420622

Don't be put off by the appearance of the place (or the proprietor!), his work seems good.

Also worth a try I'm told:

Suffolk Trimmers

Shepherd's Grove Industrial Estate

Stanton

Suffolk

(01359) 250513

Mike

There was an article or two in Low Flying (last year?) about a couple of vinyl mods. One was the manufacture of 'Whimps' - sort of elongated doors to cut down on wind; the other was the insertion of a clear bit of vinyl into the roof where a sun-roof would be, to let a bit of light in.

I can't find the articles but maybe somebody else can, and can post any contact details.