Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Standard SV Tyres

Tony C

Need the size of the Avon Road tyres fitted as standard to SV rear wheels. I'm trying to calculate gear ratios.

Has anyone got anything nice to say about the 5 speed box / 140 bhp 1800 cc engine, for purely road use? "Boat Anchor" is not an answer I'm looking for.

Thanks

It is a uselessboat anchor - too light. The engine is brilliant in my view as a pure road engine. It has plenty of torque, uses very little fuel and will last for ever with no maintenance. I am less convinced about the fiv speed box though because it has the wrong rtio for a seven. You can change the ratios though without going forthe noisy straight cut box that would ruin your car. I personally think the 6 speed box is worth the money if buying new, but GBP500 or so on getting the ratos righ is better if you own the car.

The only thing I know about the tyres is that the standard ones (I take it you mean 16 inch) are too ard and never get warm on a Seven. Bette by far to go for 15 inch/CR500 option if you can (se Alex Wong commnt above)

my SV came with 16" alloys and Avon ZZ1's 205/45/R16 - 83H

(now replaced with the new R300 style 15" alloys & 032R's - magic grip in the dry)

regards

fc

P.S. I've got 5 of 16" alloys with ZZ1's for sale if anyone's interested - offers ?

Edited by - fatcat on 6 Nov 2002 18:16:02

Thanks guys, I can work out my ratio's now.

Stll not convinced about the advantages of a 6 speed when I'm only going to drive on the road. I know this subject has been done to death, but despite all the calculation in the world it must end up being what 'feels' better - and I guess those that have tried both, the 6 speed fools better.

Regards

Tony *biggrin*

Thanks guys, I can work out my ratio's now.

Stll not convinced about the advantages of a 6 speed when I'm only going to drive on the road.

I know this subject has been done to death, but despite all the calculation in the world it must end up being what 'feels' better - and I guess to those that have tried both, the 6 speed feels better.

Regards

Tony *biggrin*

I know what you mean Scott. The se7en I test drove had a six speed box. Everything about the se7en is OUTSTANDING, that's why I ordered one.

I drive 70 miles to and from work every day (currently in a Polo GTI) and lately I've been analysing both my driving and speeds into and out of corners, roundabouts and bends - sad isn't it? It's all very well using the se7en to its limits on an empty road or the racetrack, but the roads I drive on have other cars and I've found it's not safely possible to 'wang' the car around too much. (I'm one of those weirdo's who prefers to keep all four wheels on the ground and the rubber on the tyres).

For example, if traffic allows, I drive onto roundabouts at about 20 -25 mph in second gear. The se7en engine rpm is within 50 rpm whether it's a five speed or a six speed box.

"Distant sound of cat landing among pigeons!"

By the way, if anyone's interested, I have a couple of formulae to calculate (roughly) the lift from flares and/or the drag from a standard windscreen - or indeed any other protuberances you fancy.

Regards

Tony