Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreen Downforce

Chris Cardwell

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Wasn't there a project with a University to model the mechanical structure of a 7? Has anyone done aerodynamic studies (other than the roof-on roof-off debate)?

Jonathan

I can't remember where it was mentioned, although it was probably on BC, but someone pointed out that a Caterham and a F1 car have a very similar coefficients of drag. It's just that the drag on the F1 car is the result of downforce to push it down, whereas the drag on a Caterham is used to push it back...

I remember many years ago trying a Caterham with the screeen off and on (unfortunately I can't remember which circuit because that will almost certainly affect the outcome), and the result was almost identical lap times.

Without the screen it was pulling another couple of hundered revs in a straight line, but with the screen the braking distances were noticeably shorter.

• Area Representative

Quoting Chris Cardwell: 
Perhaps a large gap along the bottom of the screen and tilted back towards the driver would help create downforce.

Sounds like a Brooklands aero.... 😬

That's what I'd expect, which is why Roger's observation is so fascinating. It would depend on the circuit, as he points out, and I think it could only occur if deceleration with brakes and no screen was much greater than with brakes and a screen, and that braking was a major factor on that circuit.

More data on deceleration please. There's an app for that...

Jonathan