Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tools needed to dismantle a K series

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Thanks folks - I have a set of Torx sockets so hopefully will have the right one.

Hi Malcolm - I'm still hoping to sell the bottom end in one piece so shouldn't have to do any further disassembling but thanks for the tip.

They are like "reverse" Torx heads. E12 female Torx is the right size I'm sure, as I refitted my head over the weekend. Mind you, I did just grab a socket from the rail without paying attention to the size of it...

Edit: it probably isn't critical, but I like to unwind the head bolts in the reverse order of fitting, i.e. spiral from outside in, and a bit at a time, rather than cranking them out completely one at a time.

Edited by - Mankee on 16 Oct 2012 13:12:39

• Area Representative

Quoting Tony Whitley: 
ISTR DVA told me the head bolts are not Torx but just funny looking hex heads.

Thats the big end bolts that you're thinking of, which are bi-hex heads.

Quoting Mankee: 
it probably isn't critical, but I like to unwind the head bolts in the reverse order of fitting, i.e. spiral from outside in, and a bit at a time, rather than cranking them out completely one at a time.

The Rover manual does specify a technique for head bolt removal, as Mankee states, to reduce the risk of distortion of the head.

Quoting Shaun_E: 
Thanks folks - I have a set of Torx sockets so hopefully will have the right one.

The sockets need to be fairly thin walled or you may get into trouble.

Ideally you want long 3/8" drive sockets.

Other than that pulling the head is dead easy on a K-series.

Shaun,

Cromwell tools are pretty good for one off / unusual sockets - there is a branch at 770 Buckingham Ave Slough.

They were the only place I could get a mahusssive torx bit for the Impreza gearbox plug. Plus their HQ is in Wigston which is quite nearby.

Also in Wigston is the now defunct RF Brookes pie factory (of interest to Mr J) - no longer do I get the smell of steak and kidney when I take child No2 to football on a Saturday ☹️

Ian

• Support Team

Halfords Pro Torx socket - *thumbup*

Breaker bar - *thumbup*

Instructions on head bolt loosening/removal process - *thumbup*

Finding out there's a Cromwell's in Slough - *cool*

I'll be attempting head removal on Saturday - expect more questions *wink*

You might/will need to spin the cams round so that the head bolts will clear the bolts on removal. It'd be a good idea to set the timing to the "safe" position so that the pistons are all halfway down the bores. Then, if you take the belt off, you there won't be any danger of piston/valve contact if you do have to wind the cams round.

I would be careful to make sure you turn the cams only when they are connected to the crank. One of the 90BTDC positions will allow unfettered access to the head bolts.

Shaun's head has rather large valves which will strike one another if they are not kept in synch, if you turn just one cam on it's own there is a good chance you will bend some valves.

This is not true for regular K's or for VVCs or for VHPDs with stock sized valves.

Oily