Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fan switch fitting

Curly

As my fan wasn't cutting in I've ordered new radiator/thermal switch

The old one had a compressed copper washer - the new one from caterham came with normal flat steel (?) washer *confused*

I've fitted the switch with the new washer but get a small leak - any idea where I can get a compression washer to fit - local motor parts shops don't have them and I can't find anything on the Caterham store?

Alternatively is there any other option - gasket sealent etc etc that could be used?

Cheers

Curly

the copper washers can be used again provided they're smooth and annealed. Lay a piece of fine abrasive paper on a flat surface and polish both sides of the washer. Once it looks reasonably smooth heat it up in a gas flame and either quench it in water or let it air cool. Unlike steel and most other metals, copper doesn't work harden if quenched. The soft copper will now seal properly.

In my experience the main reason these switches fail (I've had at least two go over 17 years) is that the contacts burn from arcing when the motor switches on and off. If you add a relay to the circuit to switch the motor, the problem goes away.

Paul