Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade advice

WindyMiller

Well Ladies and Gents, here's the question,

What should I do to upgrade my se7en this winter?

As a guide the supersport package fitted by Caterham is £1000.

Background- It is a 9 month old 1.8 roadsport (basic tune), fitted with, FIA bar, harnesses, leather seats and everything else as bog standard. It is a great little road car and has done about 4500 miles so far. I built it as a novice, so can work out which end of a spanner is which, but I have very little experience with engines! I know someone, I think it's Demon tweeks, does the supersport upgrade ( bits only ) for about £850. I intend spending somewhere in this range. I chatted at the festival and an Emerald ECU seemed a well endorsed alternative.

I throw this one to the collective and see what you reckon?

Thanks in advance *thumbup*

Andy *thumbup* *wink* *thumbup*

Emerald / DVA do a package of emerald ECU and cams similar to supersport cams for that sort of price. And it means the ECU is programmable whereas the SS one isn't. And its can be mapped properly so you'll get much better response and low range than the SS kit.

Do you have a std or long primary exhaust 🤔 If the 4 primaries join inside the car then you really need to upgrade this as well - powerspeed will do this for 450 until the end of the month.

so (inc VAT)

exhaust: 450

emerald: 600

SS like cams: 300 ???

mapping: not much as a few cars in this spec exist already.

That will get you to the 140 bhp range (throttle bodies will get you to about 150).

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

/HIJACK>

Does that mean the standard ECU can cope with upgraded cams?

I had always assumed that cams/ECU needed to coma as a package.

Will the standard ECU cope with BP285 cams? what sort of increase could you expect froom this?

/HIJACK/OFF

Tom

The standard mems (that is, the one your already have) can cope quite well with mild cams and porting upto around the 150bhp mark. So some early Piper 270 grind cams and verniers (for ease of fitting and future upgedeability) should perk it upto SS levels for minimal outlay (probably £600 ish fitted). The Emerald can then be fitted later should you want to tune further.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - Chris Jones on 5 Nov 2002 12:01:52

Ahh - the penny drops!

In that case Emerald everytime! I understand its fairly straight forward to change the EU3 connector to an EU2 with the assistance of Mr wire cutters 😬

Any other ECU will require loom mods, so it kind of makes sense to go with the ECU that has the most available maps!

Does your car have the 5AS unit?

Cheers

Chris

Interesting!

The DVA upgrade to 145+bhp (k02) sounds promising, yes I do have an ECU3, so is this a problem?

Hoopy, the exhaust is probably where I'd look next.

Just over the grand sounds fair, fitted. Where are DVA based and is it worth going the whole hog and doing the verniers, while it's open?

Andy

Andy,

I am going for a decent exhaust system first. Then any upgrade to the engine will not suffer from the losses incured by the standard exhaust system. From talking to a few enginey type bods who race K powered cars they reckon the order of priority should be gas in and out efficiently then think about putting more gas in..... i.e. exhaust, ecu, cams, port the head then TB's.

Cheers

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue with Black Bits

Milton Keynes sounds nice and close, umm decisions, decisions!

At least this has given me something to mull over.

Thanks Colin for putting me straight on who oilyhands really is, guessed it might be something like that. Have a reputation for doing things like this, when I met Hoopy at Arch, struck up a conversation with this guy hanging around, chatted about the Festival and some big wig from arch presenting one of the winners after a race- "Yes that was me!"

Foot *arrowright*Mouth 😬

Thanks everyone for the suggestions though

Andy