Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing a 7 wheel bearing

McBreadhead

Are you sure you haven't got a stone down in the calliper somewhere which is rubbing against the disk, they make the most dreadful noise.

If its the bearing it must be knackered if its making that noise. They normally rumble or clonk if they're shot. If its got that dry it can't be worth not replacing it, and the seal too.

Hmmm...... all I know is that the front offside wheel squeals only when going round LH bends and that the pads were replaced only 5k miles or so ago.

I will see if it only needs a re-grease up but what is the best test for establishing if it's shot with too much play? I am guessing jack up the car and with wheel still on, put your hands at a quarter to 3 and move from side to side?

Quoting Z3MCJez: 
Incidentally, replacing front bearings without replacing front hubs is folly. It's the hubs that wear (being made of aluminium) more than the bearings, assuming that the bearings have been properly greased.

Jez

Sounds like you must have spent loads of money unnecessarily 😳 Old fashioned centre punch? Bearing lock?

A very good tip from Ian (SM25T) from when I replaced a front wheel bearing:

When fitting the new bearing race into the hub, heat up the hub and cool the race.

I put the hub in the oven at a moderate temp and the new bearing race went in very easily, it minimised the chance of damaging the race when putting it in.

... and if you have the dreaded felt seals ---- don't mess about trying to tap it in gently and squarely, a little bit at a time.

Lay the hub on the ground on its studs (remembering to put the bearing inside first !), sit the new felt seal metal side down on to the hub, lay a piece of wood across the felt and hit it with a big hammer. Should go home in one.

If you try the dainty way, in can get horribly mis-shaped and never fit.

the felt should only be very lightly oiled just around the axle mating surface, 3-in-1 or equivalent is all you need. Don't be tempted to soak it in oil or smother it in bearing grease as the felt will stick to the stub axle and be ripped off within a few miles of motoring. Guess how I found that out........ 🙆🏻

Quoting Englishmaninwales: 
Quoting Z3MCJez: 
Incidentally, replacing front bearings without replacing front hubs is folly. It's the hubs that wear (being made of aluminium) more than the bearings, assuming that the bearings have been properly greased.

Jez

Sounds like you must have spent loads of money unnecessarily 😳 Old fashioned centre punch? Bearing lock?

Bearing lock would solve it temporarily. But it's a race car and any unnecessary play become a really nasty vibration at 115mph.

Hubs are not expensive in the scheme of running a race car. And as they are constantly fully loaded in corners, they do wear. It's something that goes much quicker (mile for mile) on a race car than a road car. Worse again as you move to slicks.

Jez

Jez

That wasn't clear in your original post. To imply it is a folly (without clarifcation) might result in people with road cars buying new hubs at every front wheel bearing change, which IMO is not necessary.

I agree that for a race car the threshold for replacement of all components is much much lower, and indeed that is how I treat my car (that spends 99% of its time as a hillclimbing and sprint car)

*smile*

Malcolm

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys ... been through the archives (and Google and the build manuals) but can't find any photos or exploded diagrams that represent my 2005 car's front bearings / hubs / stub, upright ... i have left the bearing inner on the stub and it won't budge, but before i do any drastic removing I want to make sure I am not hitting an immovable part! ... also, I have no idea what the felt washer is all about... the bearing was so disintegrated that removing the hub revealed only greasy carnage and no sign of felt!

Anyone got some pictures, diagrams or video?

Pleeeeeez? *confused*

Ta

2005 probably wont have the felt washer ? Are inner and outer bearings the same size ? If so, then you have the later hub with a parallel stub shaft, rather than the old tapering shaft.

If the inner bearing is stuck on the shaft, try some PlusGas on it for a day or so. Then use a 3-leg bearing puller. You can undo the nut on the inner end of the stub shaft, then while the nut is still attached, hit the face of the nut with a hammer to free the stub shaft from the upright. You will find it easier to get the bearing off then. You can support the bearing across the top of a big vice and drift the shaft through it ---- being sure to hit the nut, rather than the end of the shaft.