Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Got a BMW diff? - check your bolts

adz

I wonder if The Management Team could make an approach to the CEO on behalf of club members who are affected by this?

I don't really want to suggest more work for them, but it seems that things are going from bad to worse, whilst CC get a new design sorted, and an official approach from the club may be a way of getting some communication going.

Paul

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul - sounds like a good idea. The Lotus 7 Club could serve its members very well by acting as an interface with CCs. I have heard that this has been suggested in the past but rejected? Since CCs have asked for owners to volunteer to talk with them at regional meetings, what better than someone from the Club to collate members' issues and present them in a reasoned and dispassionate fashion at one of those meetings? I think the diff issue is something of great importance to many owners (and people buying cars now if only they knew it!) - I hope the Club will consider this.

Quoting Paul Jacobs: 
I wonder if The Management Team could make an approach to the CEO on behalf of club members who are affected by this?

I don't really want to suggest more work for them, but it seems that things are going from bad to worse, whilst CC get a new design sorted, and an official approach from the club may be a way of getting some communication going.

Paul

*thumbup*

I am not effected by this particular issue but think the club consider again appointing someone to liaise with CC on members concerns/issues as required. I am a member of another car club which is very active in this regard and it appears to work very well.

Good idea Paul. As a matter of interest how many of you volunteered to attend one of the regional meetings? Have any of you been contacted? I volunteered to attend and suggested Skipton, North Yorkshire, gateway to the Yorkshire Dales and all that, not far from the Lake District. I haven't heard anything in response! MH *confused*

I agree Paul, this would be a very good way forward. This issue affects so many of us now that the club would be an excellent 'middleman' who is not directly involved. I look forward to a reply from the club as to what they think and a reply from CC as to how they are going to respond. I also look forward to a reply from CC as to when the fix is coming. With such a wish list it is lucky it is coming up to Christmas. *smile*

This is the response from James following me holding back for two weeks . I would make more of a comment but frankly it would not be helpful at this stage so holding my tongue and hoping that they might get back to me/us before I go to them - again.

Quote:

Alan,

We are near to completion on the collating of data. This has taken longer than expected but we are close to release so please bare with us and I hope that we will see movement during next week.

Regards,

James

I'm now getting thoroughly *mad* off and frustrated with what appears to be a total lack of concern from CC regarding this issue. At least that is what LACK OF COMMUNICATION does to someone who is already somewhat disillusioned. I have therefore sent the below e mail to the contact on the CC website under the Caterham Quality Assurance banner;

BMW DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS

I believe that you are fully aware of the above problem. I also understand that you are aware of the comments and photographic evidence on the BlatChat forum of the Lotus7 club regarding this issue.

My wife and I are the owners of a Dec 2010, factory built R300, purchased new from Caterham Midlands for £37,000. Apart from our house this is the most expensive item we have ever purchased. To say I have been extremely disappointed with the build quality and problems we have had is a massive under-statement. I'm afraid I cannot find the energy or enthusiasm to relate these problems all over again!

Our car has been off the road for various repairs for approximately 6 months in the first 20 months of ownership and I'm afraid I have no confidence in the reliability of the car since its last electrical problems. Now it appears, that when Caterham Cars actually get around to it, some remedial work will have to be carried out on the above problem, as has been carried out on the Academy series cars I understand. When is there going to be some formal acceptance and notification that there is a problem and when is there likely to be a fix?

COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION Caterham! Communicate with your enthusiastic and loyal customers. What about a formal statement on the forum from Caterham Cars AND a notification to every owner of a kit or factory built car?

The Caterham Quality Standard

'We firmly believe that how a problem is dealt with is every bit as important as to why a mistake has happened, and to a customer with a problem it is probably more important.' 🤔

'We promise that we'll address the problem head on and as quickly as possible, regardless of the severity or complexity.' 🤔

I am posting a copy of this message on the BlatChat forum and look forward to your reply, which I hope will be positive, which I shall also post on the forum.

Mark Hyde.

Hi Mark,

We met at Portmeirion soon after you got the car I think and before you joined the club (I was the one with the yellow SV).

Sorry to hear you've been having problems, and that CC aren't responding. I've had similar response experiences in the past I'm afraid, but hopefully if you keep this thread near the top someone from CC will post a response and keep you all informed (they do have posting rights on here for that purpose).

Hopefully someone has taken Martin B's offer up and collated the information from the thread for him to approach CC *thumbup*

Best regards, and hope you get to enjoy the car more next year *thumbup*

Mark

A firm but fair letter to their quality contact.

It is the sort of e-mail which should get any self-repecting customer service agent into gear.

My only concern is that it does not seem to addressed to a specific person.

I would contact CC reception and get a name, resend to that person.

Also, if you don't get a response, copy the "I am still waiting for a reply....." to Graham McDonaldof CC, T. Fernandes and Bernard Ollivier the Renault bod who has just got involved in the Alpine/Caterham project.

Peter

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 3 Dec 2012 00:19:46

Like you Mark my car was the second largest expense, the house being the first. I built my car and have had on going problems over the last three years to long to list here. In order to cure the diff noise from the 'Ford type' diff I paid for the BMW one to cure the

problem thinking I could finally enjoy my car only to discover I now have another problem.

As you said the most annoying thing is lack of communication from CC.

Most of my many e mails to CC on this issue and the drip drip that I had some months ago always brought up the need to communicate and to communicate even if its a holding statement but always give the next date update.

Silence is deafening and ends up in all this ....

As I said a couple of days ago James hopes to get back to me ( hopefully us )this week and whatever it is I will update by friday.

And here are a couple of photos showing the displacement of the DD tube.

This one is with car on axle stands, wheels off, suspension completely unloaded. You can see that the top of the DD tube is just higher than the BOTTOM pair of diff casing bolts:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10309989/dedion_marks_.jpg

This one is with the rear of the car lifted of the axle stands by jacking the car up from the A-frame bush to load the suspension i.e. just the weight of the car loading the suspension. You can see that the top of the DD tube is not far off the TOP pair of diff casing bolts and the bottom bolts are just visible below the DD tube (to the right).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10309989/dedion_marks_%20%281%29.jpg

It would take much to displace the suspension further and definitely would move it enough with two people in the car and a reasonable about of suspension load (i.e. over some bumps or at the bottom of a B-road depression).

Going to send these of to CC tomorrow. Can someone BM me the appropriate email address please?

Quoting Dr Slotter: 
And here are a couple of photos showing the displacement of the DD tube.

This one is with car on axle stands, wheels off, suspension completely unloaded. You can see that the top of the DD tube is just higher than the BOTTOM pair of diff casing bolts:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10309989/dedion_marks_.jpg

This one is with the rear of the car lifted of the axle stands by jacking the car up from the A-frame bush to load the suspension i.e. just the weight of the car loading the suspension. You can see that the top of the DD tube is not far off the TOP pair of diff casing bolts and the bottom bolts are just visible below the DD tube (to the right).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10309989/dedion_marks_%20%281%29.jpg

It would take much to displace the suspension further and definitely would move it enough with two people in the car and a reasonable about of suspension load (i.e. over some bumps or at the bottom of a B-road depression).

Going to send these of to CC tomorrow. Can someone BM me the appropriate email address please?

How do you get to picture 2 please? I am rather new to this *smile*