Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Got a BMW diff? - check your bolts

adz

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be done quite easily. Maybe Grubbster who is in mid-build could do it?

Assemble rear struts without springs and bumpstops. Leave all bolts through bushes just done up so they still act as hinge pivots (ie not clamping the centre tube of the bush). Set to work with jacks and levers to push and pull the back axle throughout its envelope of travel

For this specific issue it may only be necessary to analyse one particular zone, where it gets closest to the diff cage/fixings. Report findings of minimum clearances to CC or on here.

Peter

As I mentioned earlier in the thread - with dedion held in place with radius arms and A frame, if you raise the dedion it hits the little bit of casting before reaching the 2 countersunk bolts that go through the carrier. I tried to take photos of it but they didn't come out very well.

Look at the bit I've circled here, on the left side of the carrier you can see that the little cast lump with something stamped on it sticks out further than the carrier does, this is where my dedion made contact in my simple test.

diff2

My test was done without shocks attached so it could be different with them on. I've gone a bit too far in the build to pull it apart again to do a more thorough test though.

Edited by - Grubbster on 3 Nov 2012 09:31:42

But the upper holes are generally less preferred for handling as they induce more roll oversteer.

If CC have only specified the upper hole as acceptable for the BMW diff, do they say that anywhere?

To clear that casting shape on the rear of the diff may need a mod to the deDion tube.

Peter

The latest assembly guide has this note -

NOTE

On some series 3 chassis a lower fixing boss is supplied to give optimum suspension geometry when used only for race and track purposes. This setting is not recommended for road usage.

The regs on the Caterham forum for the Academy (dated 2011) don't mention radius arms, from the photo's I have of this years competitors cars it looks like the lower point is used. I'll see what they do at PBC, maybe they'll move them *confused*

Top hole recommended for road use as it gives a slightly better ride. It reduces the vertical acceleration of the axle when hitting steps or ridges by allowing the axle to move upwards in a path on a sector of arc which slopes backwards not vertically up.

Irrespective of recommendations for road, track, ride quality, etc, the car will have better handling dynamics with the links in the bottom holes, especially on L to R or R to L transitions (S-bends).

Peter

Quoting CB: 
not sure why you say it isn't usable.

Because as Grubbster says he gets a foul condition with the lower holes. However on rereading his post, he says the shocks were not fitted. They limit the vertical travel of the unit so maybe his installation check took the axle beyond its normal range.

Would still be interesting to know the outcome of this examination of the operating envelope of the rear suspension.

Peter

Following all the comment on the diff problems I have spent the morning in the garage with the car on axle stands to have a good look at the situation. couldn't drive as it was hissing all morning.

The car is a 2010 150SV Roadsport and has now done 12000 miles. 6000 of those have been with the BMW diff which was one of the first retrofitted by Caterham Mids.

I checked all the mounting bolts. They were all tight having never been checked since installation. The brake pipe on top of the dedion is undamaged. There is a small mark in the powder coating that lines up with the sharp edged protrusion on the cast backplate of the diff. I have taken a flat file to that sharp edge and chamfered it back about 5mm horizontally and 8mm vertically. This should give the dedion considerably more travel before it can make contact.

My car does not have adjustable ride height and with the standard shocks I can see no way that the dedion could ever get anyway near the top carrier bolts. (Which on my car are not recessed) so my recommendation to anyone with a standard car is to file off that sharp corner to prevent contact.

I am curious as to why some cases of bolts coming loose/falling out have occurred unless the cars in question are set up with a low ride height that causes the bolt heads to hit the dedion hard enough to loosen them?

My experience with quite a few miles of wonderful quiet motoring is that the bolts do not come loose! Any further thoughts?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think the bolts that have been falling out for people are the ones at the front of the diff on either side, not the bolts at the back that strike the De Dion. Perhaps two completely unrelated issues?

The "fix" for the loosening front bolts is the fitment of Nord-Lock washers. CC seem to have fitted some to my car, (I presume at the first service in the summer this year), because there are 2 different colour paint pen marks on these 2 bolts (the green that is on every bolt on the car, and yellow presumably added when the washers were retro fitted and torqued to spec).

Edited by - ParsleyTheLion on 4 Nov 2012 18:27:58

It bothers me somewhat that this thread is drifting down the page when a solution has not been forthcoming. I posted a thread earlier to report my diff and carrier were OK, all bolts tight, but at the start of my pre winter checks I have just removed the boot floor and directly under the top nearside bolthead there is a slight indentation in the brake line. So whilst I can't prove it was the bolthead it is a worry. I am going to let CCM know what I've found and will report back.